Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't reboot and cannot reboot from DVD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 satrumon

satrumon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

My computer hard drive crashed a week ago and most of my back-ups went with the system. So, I got a new 500 GB drive and have been re-installing everything from scratch. I started with a clean install of Windows XP (service pack 2), which took forever to get all the up-dates done. Then I upgraded to Windows 7 and did the up-dates for that. I didn't make a recovery disk at this point because I wanted to get everything installed first.

Unfortunately, the last time I went to reboot it failed. When I power-up the computer it stalls out on the Dell BIOS screen. I can't get into Safe Mode, Setup, or the Boot Menu because my keyboard and mouses are not working. They are both USB and none of my USB ports are working. (Also, I have not PS/2 ports on my machine.).

Finally, I cannot get the machine to boot off the DVD drive; so, even if I wanted to, I could not start over with a fresh installation.

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 530.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

There's not a whole lot you can do for this as it sounds like your mobo might be going out. First, I would check all your usb ports and make sure there is no damage to them (metal bent, touching other contacts). If that doesn't work you can try resetting the cmos via the jumpers, or by disconnecting the power and removing the flat silver battery on the motherboard for about 15m.

Let us know if that does anything.
Posted Image

#3 satrumon

satrumon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

There's not a whole lot you can do for this as it sounds like your mobo might be going out. First, I would check all your usb ports and make sure there is no damage to them (metal bent, touching other contacts). If that doesn't work you can try resetting the cmos via the jumpers, or by disconnecting the power and removing the flat silver battery on the motherboard for about 15m.

Let us know if that does anything.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I've got fix.

I went in and reset the CMOS jumpers. I was then able to boot up with an active keyboard. This then allowed me to get into the BIOS setup. Once there I was able to fix the boot-up sequence and this solved the problem.

Again, thanks for the quick response.

#4 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Glad to here you had success :thumbup2:
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

If resetting the CMOS jumpers restored boot capability...I would tend to think that you may have a failing CMOS battery which may need replacing.

Louis

#6 ptts17

ptts17

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

Hi, I had a similiar prob and found I had to use a key board with the pin conection ! Hope this may help you a bit. :thumbup2:
J.F.PITTS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users