Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Startup Repair Disc Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rakat

rakat

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

On my startup repair disc, there is an install button in the middle of it. Does that button let you reinstall Vista? If so, after the installation, would both service packs and updates would need to be reinstalled, as well?

I think I know the answers but would like to hear from someone more qualified. I don't want to do something without knowing what the consequences would be and such.

Thanks for any reply!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hello and :welcome: To Bleeping Computer!

First I would like to know if this disc came with the computer.. if so is it a vista install disc or a repair disc. Are you booting to it? Basically do you have it in the cd drive and start the computer with the disc? Also this will format your hard drive and erase everything so yes you will have to reinstall all updates and service packs..

In my honest opinion if it is not broke do not try to fix it. Basically if your machine is running fine don't bother to do a reinstall. But that's my own opinion. :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 rakat

rakat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hello and :welcome: To Bleeping Computer!

First I would like to know if this disc came with the computer.. if so is it a vista install disc or a repair disc. Are you booting to it? Basically do you have it in the cd drive and start the computer with the disc? Also this will format your hard drive and erase everything so yes you will have to reinstall all updates and service packs..

In my honest opinion if it is not broke do not try to fix it. Basically if your machine is running fine don't bother to do a reinstall. But that's my own opinion. :)

Thank you for the welcome! :)

The disc did not come with the computer. It was created. It is a repair disc. However, there is an install button in the middle of it with repair computer in the left hand corner. I'm wondering what it does.

My computer has been experiencing several crashes and BSODs over the past week or so. As I learn more about computers, how to repair and such, the frequency of crashes are decreasing. However, it still happens at least once a day. Basically, it crashes or goes into a BSOD after the first start up of the day. After that, it becomes somewhat more stable. Very strange.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

well we can help diagnose that and try to get a fix for you.. to prevent confusion and make this make more sense I would like to ask you to create a new topic using the following instructions also put a link back to this topic for consistency :)

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users