Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Surfsidekick Hijack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 corllja

corllja

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:47 PM

I'm trying to fix my freinds notebook which seems to be infected with a virus called "SurfSideKick hijacker", "Adware.Dinky.A Trojan", and another called "Backdoor.IRCBot.FJ". The main problem that I am having is that for some reason my freind removed his network adapter and uninstalled the driver for it leaving me with no internet access. I have reinstalled the driver for the adapter, but I am still unable to connect to the internet because there is "limited or no connectivity". I can see the wireless networks that are in range, I'm just unable to connect.

I'm sure one of these viruses is responsible for the connectivity issue and I was wondering if you might be able to tell me which one(s) and what I can do to fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:31 PM

Hello corllja and welcome to BC.

We have a Self-Help Guide that tells you how to remove Surf Sidekick that can be found here. It involves two small downloads that can be burned to CD or even put on a floppy if needed. Hopefully that will get your internet access back.

I'm not finding any info on those other two. What anti virus is identifying them?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 corllja

corllja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:54 PM

First of all thank you very much for the assistance! I've never heard of the of the virus scan software before, it's called WinAntiVirus Pro. It has identified them as very high risk viruses (on par with SurfSideKick).

I'll get moving with the self help guide, and update you on my progression.

Thanks much!

#4 corllja

corllja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

I'm attempting to remove the SurfSideKick 3 now. The problem is one of the 1st instructions is to uninstall SurfSideKick 3, but it does not appear in add/remove programs and the file "Ssk.exe" does not exist.

The only 2 things in the SurfSideKick 3 directory are 2 .dll's (SskBho & SskCore).

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:55 AM

I have moved your HiJack This Log to the appropriate forum. You can find your post here. You may find it convenient to bookmark that page.

Although I am not a Hijack This Team member I do see some serious infections in your log.

Our HiJack Team are all volunteers and are very busy right now. You should receive a reply in 2-3 days. Please wait until a team member posts to your thread. Since our submitted logs are lined up by date and time, if you were to post into that topic before a team member replies, that reply would be the new date and time thus moving you backwards in the line. Once you do receive a reply things will move along quickly. If you do not receive a reply in five days post a notice here.

Good luck

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users