Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont start unless I disconnect and then reconnect video card....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rheanun

Rheanun

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

How do I find out if my video card is bad or if something else is going on? My computer wont start unless I disconnect my video card and then reconnect. Or actually I have my son do it. He thinks its my power supply. I can't afford a whole new computer right now. I bought a video card from ebay but it didn't work right so I had to put mine back. I am fine til I turn my computer off. Then when I try to start it, it just says no signal. Thanks for any info

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 95/98/ME to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

You posted this in Windows 95/98/ME section which its now been moved.

Try starting the computer up in Safe Mode (keep tapping F8 on startup then select Safe Mode) then check Device Manager to see if any errors show on any devices.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Odds are, it is the power supply; but, to verify that we need some info and to try a few tests.
Unplug the AC power cord from the back of the PC and wait one minute to lett the standby voltage drain completely. Watch the led's on the keyboard while you plug it back in. All three should turn on for about 1/2 second and then go out. If that happens, try turning the PC on.
What is happening is that, when power is first applied, the BIOS tests several core parts of the system and then initializes the keyboard which is when the lights go out.
Because modern PC's supply a standby voltage (5 volts) 24/7 and that is a very common failure, the normal shutdown causes it to fail and then you have no power to turn it back on.
Before deciding it is the power supply, there is one other thing to check. Take the side off the PC and carefully inspect all of the capacitors which look like small soup cans with X's, Y's, or K's scratched in the tops. There will be 15 or so immediately next to the CPU; but, also look at the rest on the systemboard. If any of them look puffy or have had the scratched lines in the top rupture (they usually ooze rusty brownish stuff), your problem is bad capacitors. Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
Tell me which problem you have and what the make and model of the system is so I can help you get the right part, OK?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users