Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Jpg's

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Davygood

Davygood

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

My daughter had her photo files open then tried to alter her desktop icons . The dreaded "Microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to shut down " message appeared . She clicked out and shut down.
On rebooting all of her file names and jpg's had disappeared (nothing in recycle bin).
I have restored the computer to 4 days ago and the file names have reappeared but they are empty.
Can any kind soul tell me if the jpg's are recoverable ?
Cheers Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:21 PM

Well you can always do search for them. *.jpg

#3 Davygood

Davygood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:39 PM

Hi BB ! Thanks, but the files no longer exist (hidden on hard drive?) so a search reveals nothing. I am after advice on the best way to try and recover them , missing in action as they are, so to speak!
Cheers Dave

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

There are commercial data recovery services that can read whatever remains on the drive.

If these are irreplaceable you may want to use one, but they are fairly expensive.

Do you use NTFS or FAT32 file system on that drive?

If you used FAT32 a Linux op system like Puppy Linux which will run from RAM from a cd and not have to be installed may be able to let you see the drive's contents.

Do not continue to use the drive if you are going to attempt to salvage what's on it because if you overwrite the files you may bnot be able to retrieve them except for spending an enormous amount of money.

There are aps called hex editors that are fairly inexpensive that you might be able to use on another comnputer with your present drive installed as a slave drive.

Take a look at the following link. It is a story from Information Week (geek paper) about exactly this topic.
http://www.informationweek.com/windows/sho...cleID=179102805

#5 Davygood

Davygood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:10 AM

Thanks - I had a feeling we were in another minefield ! WE have spoken to a technician and he will have a go with the dual computer as suggested by you. Luckily I had backed up most of the photos when I had my earlier meltdown so things are not so bad as they could have been ! I'll let you know the result!
Cheers Dave

#6 Davygood

Davygood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

Hello Enthusiast ! The Expert was unable to locate missing photo files so I decided to re-establish a collection of photos of some description.
I created a new folder and 6 sub folders and copied about 300 jpgs from other sources including the www.
I shut down last night and horror upon horrors all folders and contents have disappeared again.
I may have done my daughter a gross injustice as it could well be that for some reason the computer is not saving on shutdown.
On the previous occasion we tried a system restore point two months back, cancelled it and restored four days before the crash and this brought the folders back but no files.
It all sounds very odd and I wonder if it is just a coincidence that we have been using photos but that it could just have easily happened in any other application?
Can you give any logical explanation?
Cheers Dave

#7 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

Oh dear, I hate to ask this question, but do you have up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware programs on your computer? If so have you done a thorough scan recently?

If not you might want to run and post a hijackthis log and let the kindly folks on the HJT team see if they see any problems. For directions on this process go to:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

It is a possibility that you have a nasty critter or two on your computer that caused this problem, particularly if the same thing happened a second time.

Edited by franktiii, 27 February 2006 - 07:10 PM.

#8 Davygood

Davygood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:36 PM

Thanks F ! Plenty of anti spyware all up to date and all clear! I'll keep your suggestion in mind .
Thanks Dave

#9 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

Yes, actually: Just a few weeks ago a nasty virus caused quite a bit of attention from the media. It turns out that this one deletes documents, photos, and other kinds of personal files everytime you restart your computer on the first of every month.

It is quite possible that this could be a more consistant version of that particular virus.

Edited by WlkingMan, 27 February 2006 - 08:43 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users