Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2008

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fore!!!

Fore!!!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I am working on a new server (and yes, this is my first time setting up a server). It's a Windows 2008 R2 Server. Currently, I'm having trouble finding and configuring two wireless access points. The wireless repeaters are Motorola model AP-7131.

So far, I've enabled the Wireless LAN on the server. The access points are physically installed successfully and they have power. The ethernet cords for the access points are routed through a switch hub. For now (and only in adminstrator mode, the "Enhanced Internet Security" has been disabled). The instructions from Motorola are to A) Open a browser and B) type in http://10.1.1.1 This is supposed to take me to the configuration screen where I am to sign in with the given user name and password. Instead, all I get is the message, "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page". So, after googling around I found a possible solution; connect the ethernet cord from one of the access points to one of the ports on the server. I tried that, to no avail...same bleeping message. After googling some more, I tried manually changing the IP address on the port to which one of the wireless points was connected to something similar (I think I used 10.1.1.9) again, unsuccesful.

I mentioned this is the first time setting up a server and I may be missing a step in setting up the wireless LAN...I don't know...there is no wireless adapter that I can find so I don't think it's that. I'm tired of googling, Motorola wants me to buy an expensive software service package for what will probably be a one time need and I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions would be helpful....

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

First things first. I would never use a wireless connection for the server. You need that connection to be stableand secure which only a wired connection will supply. If you haven't already download the user manual from Motorola. According to the manual the address will be assigned by DHCP if available. You can find the IP address by looking up the associated MAC address in the DHCP assigned address table. If you don't have DHCP then they give a different procedure in the manual for determining the IP address based off of the MAC. There is no standard IP address for that device.

As a side note if you are going to setup a domain for the server than I would highly advise that you use the DHCP server that is part of the Server 2008. It greatly simplifies setup and eliminates strange errors that can creep in when using a non-authorized DHCP server. Also remember that servers should ALWAYS have a static IP on the LAN.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Fore!!!

Fore!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thank you Baltboy for your input. Turns out the repeater I was trying to configure has a problem. The second access point is up about 30' and I didn't want to mess around with that one until I had configured the one that is only 10' high....HA!!! Go figure! Anyway, yes, we have a static ip and, yes, it is a wired connection. The faulty repeater is being worked on and configured to our system requirements so everything should work out in about 3-5 days.

Thank you again for your time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users