Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Uninstall A Program

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vendboy2004

vendboy2004

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:26 PM

I have a computer game called 'Nicktoons Racing'. About a month ago, I was trying to uninstall it, and midway through the uninstall, the program was interrupted by a short power outage. Now, the computer shows the program is still there, but when I try to remove it, through the add/remove programs page of the control panel, a window will pop up asking if I wish to remove the selected application with all it's components. If I click yes, the 100% bar flashes up and disappears, and the program is still there. This also happens if I try to install it again. I have tried various things to remove it. Using the norton software, I was able to remove parts of it, but the majority of the program is still there. It was acting as I have described before I removed parts and it still does the same thing afterwards. I hope this is enough info to work with. If not, let me know, and I will supply more if I can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:06 PM

Hi there,

First, you may want to run a search, listing names and associations to the target program your trying to uninstall. Now that you have a list of the junk, try to delete it. If there is more than one listing in the results, go up to Edit, click Select All, then press and hold the Shift key, while clicking Delete.

If it still won't work, at least you know where the files are, so now you can boot into Safe Mode. You do this by tapping F8 repeatedly before the Windows screen appears. Follow the instructions, and log into the main account.

Now, navigate to the files that you searched, and delete them. Restart in normal mode and see if it worked.

Hope this helped,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

Try using Spybot Search and Destroy's program uninstaller (listed in the "tools" tab.

If you do not already have it installed on your computer (which you should because it is one of the best anti-malware tools available), you can download it here:

Spybot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Be sure to enable “Teatimer” which gives you realtime protection.

When you want to scan your computer for malware, always update the definitions (and immunize) before scanning.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

Try reinstalling it, then run the de-install again. That should take care of it. The de-installer had problems the second time around because it couldn't find the files to delete that were supposed to be there that were deleted by the first-time de-install. Good luck.

#5 vendboy2004

vendboy2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:49 PM

Thank you, Enthusiast. I downloaded Spybot S&D and I was able to remove the last pieces of the program. Then I reinstalled it and it works. My daughter thanks you too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users