Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.png files displaying as a red X windows xp IE8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whogordon

whogordon

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

dont know if its related or caused some how when we removed Smart hdd malware here is a link to that thread
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic448427.html/page__pid__2662683__st__15#entry2662683

I am running windows xp. internet explorer 8. i have tried tools ,internet options, advanced, under multimedia and made sure the two boxes are checked "show pictures" and "show image download placeholders"
found this link to download but have not and do not know if i should try it
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/202/1/PNG-images-are-not-displayed-on-Web-sites-in-Internet-Explorer.html

stumped
thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

I have been advised by one of the other staff here that the information in that article will restore the .png file association.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Cados

Cados

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

I would help you but IE8 has a lot of security issues and is quite slow too, and starting to get old.
Another browser should at least not have a problem with this.
I recommend Opera, I've heard it's been tested and is the best browser for XP, though a little hard to use, especially if you're used to IE.
Then you might want to try Maxthon as it has a theme which looks like IE8, as well as many more.

Edited by Cados, 11 May 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#4 whogordon

whogordon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

Well i did download the link above and it has resolved my issue. Just an fyi if anyone happens along this thread experiencing the same problem! Thanks guys:)

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thank you for letting us know the suggestion was successful for you. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users