Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UGH! Cant seem to rid SMART HDD Virus icon! Please help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Robinae

Robinae

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Can someone please help me? I am getting so frustrated. I didn't know much about computers until 2 days ago when I was blessed with meeting the S.M.A.R.T HDD virus. I did already have the free version of Malware Bytes that I ran monthly. I also had live monitioring of McAfee that I pay for. Yesterday I followed the Bleeping Computer instructions for removing the virus. I still had internet and I did run Rkill, then I ran TDSSKiller, then I ran Malware Bytes, and finally, I ran Unhide.exe. I did all of this in Safe Mode for my User and the Administrator User (not even sure why I there are two options there). Once done with all of that, as Bleeping Computer instructions state, you can come out of safe mode and look into running Secunia to see how vulnerable your programs are.

Well...while clicking on Internet explorer (no longer in safe mode) I lost my internet. It says "Internet Explorer (no add-ons) - even though all my Programs came back. It is loading up in regular mode very very slowly. I did notice that the Smart HDD icon is still there on my desktop and also listed in my programs with an Uninstall option(which I did not click). So I have run all three programs again in safe mode (Rkill, TDSSKiller, and Malwarebytes). All the logs say I'm clean. What gives? I really need some help as the desktop is where all of my important programs are that I need to use. I'm afraid to open anything as I don't want this SMART HDD going any further in my computer. My computer keeps saying it is trying to acquire a network address.

I can't get on internet with that desktop but I can see all my programs. I am communicating now through my laptop and do have the ability to download programs to disc from the laptop and run on my desktop. My router and internet on other systems are running perfectly. If you respond to me, please be detailed (should I be in Safe Networking or Regular mode). I'm a fairly educated individual, but obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers. I will respond quickly though as I'm ready to rid my life of this pesky rogue!

I'd rather get the help here and make a donation than to drive my computer across town. Thank you in advance for any help you can give to me.

Robin

Edited by Robinae, 20 April 2012 - 11:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hello ,it has locked onto something and protecyed itself.

We need a deeper look. Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Robinae

Robinae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Couple of quick questions. How does one post "logs" on the forum if they aren't able to get on the internet? I am having to download the programs to a CD from my laptop and then place on the desktop computer via cd. I am having to communicate with you through a different computer. Is there a way to make my infected computer get on the internet through another mode I'm unaware of? Thank you so much!

#4 Robinae

Robinae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Please, does anyone know? Any ideas how to proceed and post the logs to Bleeping Computer without an internet connection from the computer infected with the rogue?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

For the connection try these...

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If needed : type these one line at a time, press enter after each line. See if it works after each.

netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

WIN7.. Please Download this file, Click Me
Right-click on winsockfix.bat and click on Run as Administrator.

Have you tried safe mode with networking?

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode

<<><<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to enter safe mode(XP/Vista)
Using the F8 Method
[color=#006400]Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on yo
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Robinae

Robinae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thank you so much Boopme. Yes, everything I do, I have been using Safe Mode with Networking but still won't connect. I have Windows 95...just kidding :) Windows XP.

Thank you again for this tip. I shall try to see if it works and then on to follow your other instructions and over to the other Forum Topic. If it doesn't, I went out and bought a flash drive. I can use disks to put programs on infected computer and then download logs to flash, and back to laptop to post here. Please wish me luck...I think I need it! I'll keep you posted.

Robin

#7 Robinae

Robinae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Ok, none of the above worked for internet connection. I'm stumped as to why everything else is pretty much back to normal except my internet. I will begin the process of the DeFogger and protocol above and save the logs to a flash and try to post that way on the other Thread as directed. Thank you....(and please come help me on the other thread :))

Edited by Robinae, 20 April 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#8 Robinae

Robinae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'm sorry, I have a very important question. Am I suppose to be running DeFogger, DDS and GMER in Safe Mode or Regular? I doesn't state that in the directions. None of these programs are able to give me a log and have errors. I am running them in Safe Mode with Networking (even though I have no internet and am loading prgrams via disk) and wondering if I should be in Regular Mode? I'm having a hard time believing that none of your programs will work for me. I'm so confused. Yesterday when I performed the SMART HDD unistall, everything seemed to work except by uninstalling it, it disabled my internet. I'd be grateful if you or someone could please advise.

Thanks.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

All in regualar if possible// If you cant run somethong skip it and move on.. We really need the DDS log.
Sorryyou have such troble.. Malware bites.

#10 Robinae

Robinae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Ok, thank you. Maybe that's the problem. I'm running them in Safe Mode as I'm so scared that this SMART HDD rogue will ruin my computer. I'm really trying to get the DDS, but after about 10 minutes, it only displays about 40 pound hashtag signs (#). And then the DDS won't close or stop when I try to x out. I will power off unit and restart in Regular mode and try running all the programs again. Thank you dearly and I'm so appreciative of your help and quick response... hopefully soon, I will make it to the other topic threads!

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Maybe this is easier..

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download OTL by OldTimer and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other applications and windows so that you have nothing open.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.

Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • Under Output, ensure that Minimal Output is selected.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
    Leave the remaining selections to the default settings.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Do not use the computer while the scan is in progress.
  • When the scan is complete, two log files will open in Notepad:
    • OTListIt.txt <- (will be maximized)
    • Extras.txt <- (will be minimized in the Task Bar).
  • Both logs are automatically saved to the Desktop.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of OTListIt.txt and Extras.txt in your next reply.
    If the Extras.txt log is too long, you may need to add a second reply to your thread or upload it as an attachment.
  • Click the red X in the upper right corner to exit OTL.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If OTL did not work, then reply back here.

#12 Robinae

Robinae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Will do. Thank you again. I'm re-trying all the other instructions above in regular mode. This thing is a lot slower in regular mode. If they do not work, I will try the OTL. Keep you posted.....

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

:thumbup2:

#14 Robinae

Robinae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ok, none of the processes worked. DDS screen stuck, will not close. Going to restart and run GMER amd then OTL. I'd appreciate happy thoughts from any and all people that may be reading this :)

Edited by Robinae, 21 April 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#15 Robinae

Robinae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Seriously sick of the Error screen coming up that says: "Svchost.ext - Application Error The instructin at "0x7d4caa9b" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The memory could not be "read". Click "OK" to terminate program or click "Cancel" to debug program. Also sick of seeing SyncDll come up too! This is mental overload for a girl like me....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users