Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building first computer, acceptable setup?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NicoXi

NicoXi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

So, I've taken some time to place all parts that seemed good to me together, and would like to know if that setup is compatible/any good/if I need anything else/if I'm totally getting ripped off by the merchant. So here we go.

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6750; 2048 MB; 128 Bit : 90 €

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit License: 80 €

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945; 3000 MHz; Level2: 4x512kB; Level3: 6144kB : 80 €

Power Supply: LEPA N500-SA-EU 500W: 40 €

Case: Aerocool X-Warrior Midi Tower; 2 coolers: 45 €

Motherboard: ASRock M3N78D; ATX; Sound Card; NVIDIA nForce 720D chips: 50 €

HDD: WD20EARX 2 TB Sata 600: 100 €

RAM: GeIL DIMM 8GB DDR3-2133 Kit: 50€

Total sum: 554,35 € (around 725 USD)

I'm quite the amateur, so any feedback regarding better parts would be appreciated. I am very performance-price ratio orientated. =)

Edit: I think I really need help choosing a motherboard, there seem to be so many criteria and I have no god damn idea which ones are important.

Edited by NicoXi, 20 April 2012 - 04:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

What exactly are you going to be using this PC for? Games? Office work? Standard home PC stuff? I assume this is the case you've chosen.

If this is going to be a home theater PC or one designed for anything other than encoding, gaming, or crunching formulas, an AMD APU based system would work. If you're doing anything else, you may want a higher-end CPU from the FX line. If you're gaming, you will want that plus a good graphics card.

As for the hardware itself, its workable, but not really that great for high performance applications. I would consider it more of an HTPC or mid range home PC needing a dedicated graphics card. In the graphics area, that PC isn't great, but better than an integrated GPU.

AMD has three paths open to you. Go old school and find an older Phenom II CPU, go new and get one of the FX CPU's, or go for the integrated graphics and get an APU. The Phenom II parts are older with a more traditional design and are quickly being phased out by AMD. These are becoming a little more difficult to find and they are designed for the AM3 socket, though they are backwards compatible with AM3+. The FX CPU's are new and are replacing the Phenom II's. These CPU's use a very different "Module" based design where two CPU cores are partially independent but share a few resources. These are designed for AM3+ sockets and AMD is developing future CPU's for AM3+. The Llano APU's are basically a Phenom II CPU and Radeon graphics card on one chip. This makes them perfect for many people as they get reasonable graphics performance without the need for a dedicated add-in graphics card. These are designed for socket FM1 and are not compatible with AM3/AM3+ sockets, they are also going to be replaced by the upcoming FM2 APU's where backwards compatibility is not known.

If you want to go Phenom II, keep what you've got but replace the motherboard with Asus M5A97 PRO 970. This is a bit higher end and is compatible with AM3 and AM3+ CPU's should you later decide to upgrade. It is also larger and more spread out than the one you've chose. This is a good board for people who will not be using Crossfire or SLI.

If you want to go FX, keep the Asus motherboard I chose above. Alternatively, if you think you will want to use Crossfire or SLI, go for the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX. The Sabertooth is designed for multiple graphics cards and is designed for gamers who overclock and push their PC's. You can pair that with the AMD FX-4 4100 Black Edition 4 Core 3.6Ghz, AMD FX-6 6100 Black Edition 6 Core 3.3Ghz, or the AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8120 3.1Ghz.

If you want to go the APU route, the AMD Llano A8-3850 2.90GHz APU paired with the Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H A75 would be good. You can still use a dedicated add-in graphics card, but if you are going to do that, it would make more sense to go Phenom II or FX. The graphics on this APU is similar to that of a Radeon 6550.

Unless you're overclocking, you don't need RAM that fast, in fact, you need to go and specifically tell your motherboard to operate your RAM at overclock speeds to get maximum benefit out of that RAM. You can get the Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz.

3939.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Gigabyte is decent, but there are a number of good brands for motherboards. I do prefer Asus because of their UEFI BIOS. All motherboards will do a good job, but it is not really the manufacturer that matters past a certain point, but the chipset. The AMD 970 chipset is great for office and gamers who don't want to use Crossfire or SLI, but if you do use those features a 990FX really is best. ASRock is great for budget brands, but you have to be careful with them as they have a wide quality control margin.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users