Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How/why is logging/signing out important?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 YesImOtto

YesImOtto

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

Believe it or not, I could not google this..I have searched again and again about why logging/signing out is important but could not find one.

For banks, It is extremely important, yes. However I do this with my email, facebook, everything basically since I got hacked.

May someone explain why signing out/logging out is important? This is my home, not public internet by the way.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odiro

odiro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

the reason is that you newer know if somebody else is using your computer. also wen they say log out remember the rule is important if you are using a pc in a diffrent place remember what can happen if you forget to not sign out.
signing out when home is a little important etc. if it gets stolen and you are loged in to something such as amazon they can easily find your credit card information

#3 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for reply, but I dont quite get some parts in your answer. Can someone explain more clearly? I am not so good with computers.

#4 odiro

odiro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

okey the say it becouse you need to remember o log out when using a diffrent computer

#5 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

So if you are using a private computer that only you use, you dont need to sign out? Does this provide ways for hackers though?

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

No. What you're talking about only applies to shared computers.

#7 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Ok, so....if using private computers, there is no need to log/sign out?

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

It depends. I'd recommend it because it is possible that if your computer is infected that leaving your passwords on "remember me" and staying logged in could be used in spamming/hacking of your accounts. Although it's rare, in the event that someone did manage to "take control" of your PC by using RDC or a program like TeamViewer they will have access to all of your information without needing to guess/hack your usernames and passwords. When it comes to bank accounts and other highly-sensitive information - many places require you to log out or they will either A) Terminate your session or B ) Place a "lock" on your account.

Just really judge it for yourself. No one is gonna be able to tell you if staying logged in is secure for your environment. If you have a properly configured firewall, anti-virus, etc. and your PC is on lockdown and 100% virus free then it would not necessarily "hurt" anything. But just think to yourself, "What would happen if this got taken over?" If it would actually cause major problems (ex: bank account numbers, credit card numbers getting stolen) then log out. If you do not feel much could happen with someone having access to your Facebook or email - then it's your call.

There has also been some reports of Facebook-like accounts getting spammed from the person selecting the "stay logged in" on an infected PC. Also, even though I've never researched it - I believe it's also possible to "hack" or "crack" the login information (session ID) stored on your PC locally (cookies, etc.). Of course this is if the PC is already infected.

Edited by NpaMA, 22 April 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#9 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

Hmmm I guess it is important then, thank you people.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Shut Down:
Shutting down your computer basically means that Windows closes all running programs and completely shuts off your machine. It’s typically best used when leaving your office for the night or when the College has a scheduled power outage planned.

Reboot or Restart:
Rebooting (or restarting) is when Windows turns your machine off and back on again. As explained by Keith Ward at About.com, “…it saves your information to the hard drive, turns off the computer for a moment, then turns it back on again.” A restart is typically best when your PC is running unusually slow or if a program has locked up. In fact, a reboot can be performed as a troubleshooting step for quite a few unexpexcted problems as it is known to be quick fix for many issues. It may also be required after a new program or an update to Windows has been installed. ITS, on occasion, may also recommend a reboot if we have performed a global change that may affect your computer.

Logging Off:
When logging off, you’re shutting down your user account only. The machine itself will remain powered on and will revert back to the login screen for the next time you or someone else logs in. Logging off may be best used if you are using a shared computer and anticipate someone else will be using the computer soon after you. In addition, it’s best to simply log off your computer at the end of the day if you anticipate ITS will be performing work on your computer after hours. You can also use logging off as a way to restore SJC network drives if you find they are unexpectedly missing (such as after a network disruption).

Lock Computer:
Locking your computer is a great way to protect your programs and data while you are away from the computer. When you press CTRL+ALT+DEL on your keyboard, one of the available options is Lock Computer. This option does not close any programs or documents you may be working on. It merely prohibits others from using the machine in your absence. It’s best used if you need to step away from your computer for a short period of time. Once you are ready to use the machine again, simply press CTRL+ALT+DEL and log in to return to your desktop.

Reboot, Shut Down, Log Off: What to Do When?
What is the Difference Between Log Off, Restart, and Shut Down?

There are several reasons why it may be a good idea to turn off your computer at night...computers connected to the Internet via DSL or cable modem are vulnerable to hacking if they are still connected....if you work from home and log into a business, you should definitely turn off the computer at night, or at the very least, log out from the business. Not only does leaving the computer on threaten the security of your personal computer, but it could also give hackers entry to your business.

Should I Turn My Computer Off at Night?

Further, Logging off saves on energy costs if your electric bill is high.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 YesImOtto

YesImOtto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

Sorry quietman7 I should have made it clearer.

I'm talking about signing out as in Facebook signing out, Gmail/Email sign out, etc, not logging of computers.

My mistake - I should have been clearer.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

Yes you should sign out when finished.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif