Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible reason(s) for very slow PC in this case?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vox345

vox345

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

1GB RAM 1.5 ghz processor, 8+ year old Dell Optiplex tower. Not a good start, but after a full reformat of windows XP sp2 then updating to sp3 and all the other windows updates and installing basically no programs or any files or even going on the internet to possibly pick up a virus or something, it ‘s very slow right after a full reformat. Freezes up, typing in IE skips letters, sometimes puts numbers instead of letters, have to alt +ctrl+delete frozen IE/programs, non-internet simple computer usage is even very slow, etc. I have full antivirus and firewall etc.
I switched out the hard drive and RAM with new ones, and still the same, no fix. Other computers on the same router/network (though network is private) work fine.

Someone suggested this:
“I'm gonna end up sounding like a broken record (second post already on this, and I just signed up today), but when I hear 8 year old Dell locking up, first thing I think is "bad capacitors". Look closely at the capacitors on the motherboard. Are the tops flat, or bulging? Does it look like stuff is oozing out? Google "bad caps" and look at the image results. Do yours look like that?

Don't know what model you have, but the Optiplex GX270 was infamous for this.”
It’s a gx240.

^i gotta check capacitors, but any othr ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2012 - 08:50 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am i Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

Hi -
With re-doing the system did you replace the CMOS battery ?? Small round one that looks like a watch battery -

The only quick answer (without soundind like a record) -
Please post back with a result -

Good luck -

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

With the task manager open (Carl+alt+del) click the performance tab and post back how much available memory is left. What is the name of the AntiVirus software for using?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 April 2012 - 02:26 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Size of Windows partition? Amount of free space currently on Windows partition?

Louis

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

^i gotta check capacitors, but any othr ideas?

hi,its been 2 days ,and it only takes 2 minutes to check your capacitors ,so not sure what you saw ,my other idea would be a faulty a hrddrive

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 vox345

vox345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

caps are all fine.
available physical memeory (K)changes constantly but is around 440300. Total says 147564 and System cache changes but say arund 500000.
Anti virus is MCafee or norton, but evrthing's broke before using the internet.
Guess I'll change that battery.
compmgmt.msc in 'start' then 'run' then disk manager or whatever shows partition to be: capacity: 74.52GB free available: 62.81GB. 84% free, halthy system, 0% overhead, no fault tolerance.

Edited by vox345, 22 April 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

you have Norton and McAfee installed on top of each other? Those two programs running in the background at the same time is enough to choke any computer. Does the machine seem to be snappier in safe mode? is windows firewall or windows defender running as well by chance?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 vox345

vox345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I didn't wanna say which 'cause thought that'd be giving out too much info. I have norton.
I also have Constant Guard. Both are free with my ISP. They override and turn off windows firewall I think.

It happened all of a sudden after a reformat, though. It was never 'fast', but now it's rediculously slow. I can get a new tower with twice the specs minus the hardrive I have anyway for like $60 used, but I don't wanna throw this out or give up.

#9 vox345

vox345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Fwiw, I worked for a small company that put a web folder on my PC to transfer data. I Googled the company owner a bunch and found that is very very good w/ computers, can program, etc. The problem only started after I stopped working there and reformatted my computer to remove the webfolder completely. That company is pretty much shjt to work for and nazi-like, and I wouldnít put it past them that maybe they did something to my computer through the webfolder. I put no possibly infected files back on that I saved b4 the reformat. I asked a forum, and it is possible to malware/etc a PC that a reformat canít save it, and that something can be broken through the webfolder. I tried a new hard drive, though, and thatís where most people say the malware would have sat through the reformat.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Since...you seem to be asserting that malware is present on your system...regardless of origin...I will move your topic to the appropriate forum.

Louis

#11 vox345

vox345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

I don't think I was sent malware(s)/virus(s) through said webfolder anymore. Someone could have infected the webfolder host then it spread to me, but I doubt it because:

Right after a recent full reformat when the computer had nothing installed except for a non-updated Win XP S2, it was basically fast. I didn't surf the web because I had no windows security updates or antivirus, but just typing into Google with Google instant enabled was fast and not how it usually freezes up, skips key strokes, turns letters into numbers, backspacing through what I typed freezes up, etc.
Just navigating around the computer and opening Windows features was fast. FWIW though, opening two IE windows would crash it and caused an error report. But, it was geneally fast at this point.

Next I needed to update windows to meet the requirements to install Norton & Security Suite (Comcast's free constantly running program with remote file server, credit card & password manegement, firewall, etc, and Norton's). I did the 100+ windows updates, which were mostly securty onse but also SP2 to SP3, IE7, etc, and that's when it got slow. Then I installed Norton & Security Suite, and it's still slow.

That's all I have installed and didn't put any backed-up files on the computer.

The problem is this:
Before the reformat that suddenly caused the slowness (which was before this recent one), PC wasn't nearly as slow, but had all of the same programs installed plus more. Like said, my capacitors are all fine and I tried a new hardrive and RAM. I didn't replace the CMOS battery like suggested, but I doubt it's a hardware problem.
Maybe the maware/virus is designed to kick in once I update windows :clapping: , and I should post the malware log report thing?

Anyone wanna take a shot at this?
Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by vox345, 20 May 2012 - 12:38 AM.

#12 vox345

vox345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

I did basically everything in the 'Slow Computer/browser? Click here 1st thread' but no fix.

However; "Check for problem entries (colored coded symbols) in Device Manager" all checked out working properly except 'no drivers are installed for this device" for these under System Devices tab:
direct memory access controller
SMBus controller
numeric data processor
programmable interrupt controller
system speaker
system timer

Should I look into fixing those? They're all Microsoft provided, so they'd have been set right with Win updates, plus, I select update driver, it asks for permission to go to windws update, and it says it can't update anyway.

PageDefrag helped typing into google instant a bit fater, but far from fix the problem.

I'm about to say F it and get another computer. I doubt I got malware through the webfolder, I can call that company and get work if I wanted FWIW.
I just don't wanna throw this computer out, well recycle it, and feel the problem beat me.
next is malware test, which i bet shows nothing.

Edited by vox345, 20 May 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#13 vox345

vox345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

My malware scan checked out clean. Here’s the thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic455036.html
So anyone know why reformatting caused it to get slow?
Thanks very much for any help.

Edited by vox345, 30 May 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#14 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi vox345 :)
After having a talk with one of our hardware experts, I have made a decision to see if we can get those driver issues fixed.

Please do read all the included instructions. You will need to start off here:

Intel 800 Series Integrated Chipset

If you have any questions for me or something dont go as it should please stop and report back to me. We now need you to read and follow this second download too:

Dell Device Driver

Again if anything out of the ordinary happens let me know or if you have questions let me know.

If there are anything else missing, you should be able to find it here : Dell Drivers & Downloads.

Please reboot the PC when all done and test it out, then report to me how the PC is running now. Also please go back into device manager and there see if our fix worked. Tell me if you have more yellow triangles, showing that a driver is not working right.

Regards,
Karsten

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I didn't wanna say which 'cause thought that'd be giving out too much info. I have norton.
I also have Constant Guard. Both are free with my ISP. They override and turn off windows firewall I think.

It happened all of a sudden after a reformat, though. It was never 'fast', but now it's rediculously slow. I can get a new tower with twice the specs minus the hardrive I have anyway for like $60 used, but I don't wanna throw this out or give up.

Telling us which security products you use is not giving out to much info. We ask for a reason and knowing sometimes leads to answers.

Is your ISP Comcast? They do offer the Constant Guard Protection Suite, which also includes Norton, free to customers.

One thing you can do is UNINSTALL the Constant Guard portion of the suite. Constant Guard has caused slow downs and other problems for some users.

Uninstalling only the Constant Guard portion may (or may not) help with the slow system issue.

Also if you are a Comcast customer and have the Comcast toolbar uninstall it as it can be flaky.

It's also possible that NORTON does not play nice with your system. As a test you could, if inclined to do so, uninstall Norton and try different anti-virus and firewall products.

If you do uninstall Norton, turn on the Windows firewall first. Also find, download, and save to your computer an antivirus which you can immediately install.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 June 2012 - 04:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users