Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

releasing electric?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jeanie713

jeanie713

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hi!

My sister has been having phone, internet and cable problems for awhile now and I just found out that her cable co. has taught them to go out to the cable box outside and release the electric because it is building up?? So they do that, often. I have never heard of that before and I am assuming that she should actually contact the electric company because there are lines crossed somewhere or something. I know to much electric is not only dangerous but can ruin their tv and computer and phone. My question is, if this is something that is common and they can't get it fixed by the electric co. and obviously not the cable company is there some kind of regulator that she can purchase to "release the buildup" or stop it from building up? I'm totally clueless as to tell her what to do at this point. She is constantly having her pc freeze up and I'm constantly up there trying to figure out whats going on but just found out about this and figure it is probably the problem. Also, is this common?

Thanks in advance so much for your time.

Jeanie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

That sounds like an ingress condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_%28signal_leakage%29#Signal_leakage
DSLReports.com site is down right now but they have some good tips and explanations there about finding and fixing cable ingress problems.

All cable companies that I know have a tool specifically built for identifying the frequency that is causing the ingress (to help determine if it is something like a nearby radio transmitter or the refrigerator in the kitchen) and then they can trace it to the point of entry. If it is ingress and the cable company won't help that is very odd because the ingress affects all of their neighbors eventually and not just them. Telling them to short the cable at the entry point is a temporary fix at best and I would not ask someone to do that for fear of damage to equipment or the person.

I have fixed ingress problems before and they were almost always due to a bad splitter or homemade connection where the the inner wire of the cable is exposed. Let us know if it is indeed an ingress problem. I'll try to dig up some better info for you if it is :)

James

EDIT: If it is a fiber optic network like FIOS, the ingress is only in the house's coax cables and probably does not affect the neighbors. Maybe that would explain their reluctance to diagnose it but that's not very good service :)

Edited by NeverSayDie, 19 April 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#3 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

I don't have a solution, but am curious. How is the cable company telling her to "release the electric"...what is she doing?

Edited by jburd1800, 19 April 2012 - 10:06 PM.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#4 jeanie713

jeanie713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

They told them to go out to the cable box and disconnect the cable that leads to the house and leave it disconnected for 10-15 minutes. The cable company has replaced all wires and connectors twice now she said. She also said she's not aware of the neighbors having any problems, which I know with her when it happens her phone goes out first, so unless the neighbors have different cable companies than I'm sure she would notice if the cable guy was visiting the neighbors she lives on a very short road with houses side by side. I'm guessing it's her problem but it has to be something that is unique to her house. Is it possible that it could be because of a game system that is hooked up to her router? I mean could it be the wires off of something like that? Because I imagine they didn't check those wires. When it happens to her, their pc freezes up, her tv gets fuzzy and the phone quits working. She has time warner and it is bundled (phone, cable, internet). So you think maybe if I change the lines inside the house, make our own or buy new ones that may work? Or is it even worth a try? And again thank you so much for your time.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hi

That certainly sounds like an ingress issue. She can ask them if they think it is coming from a transmitter or an appliance. They might be able to tell her the frequency of the signal that is coming into her cable lines. Does she live near any TV radio or Ham transmitters?

James

#6 jeanie713

jeanie713
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hi James,

No they don't live near any of that. The town don't even have a radio station anymore. I read the link that you gave and I agree thats what it sounds like. I talked to her husband tonight and he said that he has heard people he works with from all over the town they live in say they have the same problem. So I'm guessing that it's not something that we can fix at her home than is it? They do have trains running all over the place and she does live just a stones throw from a very active track maybe something from that?

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

DSL Reports is still down(those poor people, that site has gotten tons of traffic for years) but here's a Google cached version of one of their ingress related pages...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3N3Dc0QFjDYJ:www.dslreports.com/faq/cabletech/3.1_Ingress+&cd=2&hl=en

Electric transformers for trains might do it but I live in NJ and we have a lot of those so I probably would have heard about it if it was a common issue.

My favorite quote from the page I linked to is at the bottom...

One noted case was a customer having problems with their modem dropping off during the day time. We re-wired his house from tap to all outlets to try and fix the problem. After about 4 weeks of troubleshooting and getting an engineer involved, we found that a neighbor had an open port in a bedroom and was using a remote controlled car. The motor in the car was putting off just enough interference on the upstream carrier for the modem, that it was knocking our customer offline."

So it may be one of their neighbors causing the problem :(

James

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Must have been some power outage where the DSL Reports servers are hosted to corrupt them.

I would have expected them to be on UPSes and have a backup generator too. Even the doctor down the street from here has several 1500VA Servers UPSes to prevent problems.

Not to mention, No Backups ??

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users