Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuous scanning noise after replacing power supply

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hopelesslyfrustrated

hopelesslyfrustrated

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Was unable to turn switch on my very old computer so took in for repair. They replaced faulty power supply unit. Since I got it back home, it has continuously sounded like scanning is going on. It never stops even for one minute. It loads at the same speed as before when starting it up, but it takes 10 minutes now to get home page of IE to show up. The HD is quite full but was before I brought it in. I've now deleted a bunch of programs using Add/Remove but hasn't done much, and at even one point, it showed less free disk space after I deleted a whole bunch of programs. I've done Disk Cleanup to compress and delete temp, also ran %temp% and deleted all those temp files, only have some remaining few files in the Recycle Bin, scanned PC with Norton and Malwarebytes and nothing at all found. I did a defrag even though it said there was only 1% free space, it was unable to defrag many files.Have downloaded all Window updates except for one Office one. Phoned the repair shop and they never heard of this problem after installing new power supply , they want me to bring it back in but not very convenient to do so, and to wait days and days for it again. . Would anyone happen to know what this could be?
It's a 466Mhz Intel Celeron with 1GB Ram, 72GB HD with only 1.16GB free, WinXP Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

<<72GB HD with only 1.16GB free>>

Generally...Windows will not function properly if free space on the Windows partition is less than 10-15% of total partition size. I have taken free space down to 11% or so (as an experiment) with no problems...but the general opinion is that 15% and above is desireable.

Louis

#3 hopelesslyfrustrated

hopelesslyfrustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

I would like to eliminate my overfull HD as the problem, however, after I delete, I often have less space. For instance, I start out at 1.15GB free, and after deleting a program of 185MB, I then have 1.17GB free which is fine, but then I delete a 15MB program, and now only have 1.11GB free. Everytime I check the C drive, I have a different amount of free space available even though I've done nothing at all

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

I would like to eliminate my overfull HD as the problem,

Agree as per above by hamluis -
You need to be ruthless and open Control Panel > Add/Remove and remove more programs that are not used often or required
What you are looking for is RAM space, and these are installed or saved programs that you have added. Windows operating system will also take a certain amount of space that generally cannot be removed, or reduced (open Defrag to see how much free RAM there is)

The Norton Antivirus usually takes more space than, say, Microsoft Security Essentials free (mine shows 16MB for MSE)
Also Norton often adds its own Firewall that you can replace with Windows firewall -

With only 1G of RAM, you do need to only keep what is used on a regular basis and remove All others then start fresh -
Do you have any Saved Documents with / Pictures / Music / Photos or Videos that can be saved on CDs and not left on your computer ??
This also includes cleaning your Email in box (how many old saved ones in there), and do you use F/book games on a regular basis ??
Also remove all Toolbars that are showing - Spybars and mostly useless -

Other option = Add more RAM -

Edited by noknojon, 19 April 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#5 MrFixIt2

MrFixIt2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

Do you have anything running in the background?

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Other option = Add more RAM -

Yes, that's definitely an option. Although, I wonder how much memory it will take and its availability.

Checking for overheating problems, the cable connections and maybe getting a faster, bigger Hard Drive may take care of your problems.

If you're going to try a newer HDD, with a fresh install of Windows, please remember to only install programs and services you REALLY need.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

<<What you are looking for is RAM space...>>

No...what we are talking about is hard drive space available for Windows to do everything properly.

A larger hard drive is the seemingly obvious answer...entire contents of current drive can be cloned to new drive and disk space problems go away.

FWIW: Seems foolish to me to talk about eliminating MB...when the problem is with GB available. Removing programs doesn't really do much when it comes to disk space...when compared to removing video files, graphics files, music files.

Louis

#8 hopelesslyfrustrated

hopelesslyfrustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Am making some progress I think thanks to all the suggestions. Can't afford new HD but I wish the repair shop would have recommended I add more RAM while it was in, but now I don't have time to disconnect & return the PC for that. I know some people could probably easily add RAM themselves, but not me. So will have to work with what I have. The deletion of programs didn't help much however getting rid of some of the music files really helped a lot as Louis stated. Can't believe how much room they were taking up. I got the HD down to 16% free, and am now finally able to do a defrag which has been a long time since that was done. Am hoping the ocntinuous scanning noise will disappear after a defrag and a reboot. Will post back the results.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

:) Great going -
Keep us updated and we may have a few more hints later -

Regards -
Extra SpeedFan (2mb) may help keep a quick eye on temperatures also -

Edited by noknojon, 21 April 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#10 hopelesslyfrustrated

hopelesslyfrustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Ahhh, relief. The incessant noise is gone. It was getting me a little on edge there like fingernails on a chalkboard. I was worried my HD was about to fry but delete and defrag did it. Thank you all! :thumbsup:

#11 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

I didn't see any mention of running CCleaner and PureRa.

On most systems I do tuneups on, PureRa alone usually can clear 1-2GB of HD space.

These might help buy you a little more time till you can upgrade.

Edited by kisk, 21 April 2012 - 12:10 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users