Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disk Damaged, Says It's Not Formatted

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:44 PM

I just got a new(ish) computer and I wanted to transfer the contects one of my old hard drives to the new computer. I disconnected the drive from the old and attached as a slave to the new. When I booted up, Windows recognized the hardware and the drive appeared in My Computer. But when I try to open it I get an error message saying that the disk isn't formatted.

The disk can't be too badly damaged because both the partitions are recognized and are of the correct size, etc.

Is there a way to recover the data on the drive (I don't want to keep the drive, just the data)?

It's a Seagate ST320410A with NTFS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

What OS is the host computer runnig
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:10 PM

Windows XP (no service packs, haven't updated anything yet)

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

Perhaps your IDE cable is faulty. It happens to me from time to time when backing-up information. Try with another cable. Other possible cause is a jumper's misconfiguration: set the master disk to "master", not "cable select", some drives have a "force master" option.

Also, you could try connecting the disk as secondary master.

Don't try to "fix" or mount the disk if you keep getting the "disk isn't formatted" message.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:06 PM

Using an unpatched, un-updated Windows computer to operate on the internet is similar to and just as unethical as speeding while driving drunk on ice covered roads.

Not only do you place your own computer at high risk of irreparable damage due to infection by myriads of viruses, worms, trojans and other forms of malware that can easily infect an unupdated computer, one which is highly likely to be a zombie by now, making you complicit in enabling the spread of the malware contagion, placing the rest of the users of the internet at risk as well, especially anyone unlucky enough to be in your address book.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

Enthusiast, truer words are hard to come by, and I agree wholeheartedly, though the computer of which I speak is a (semi)new standalone. I'm just waiting for the SP2 cd to arrive from Microsoft. I plan to use this PC for gaming, word processing and other non-net functions.

I would never in my right mind access any network with less than the cyber-security equivalent of full body armor and a machete coated in soured mayonnaise :thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:51 AM

Good!
Sorry about the rant, but I just cannot understand users who think they know more than Microsoft does and refuse to install Critical Updates - and then complain about Microsoft when their computers become infected.

Use Windows to format the new hard drive.

In "My Computer", right click on it and then choose "format".

Then use Digital Dolly to image/clone the original drive on the new drive.
http://www.download.com/Digital-Dolly/3000...tml?tag=lst-0-1

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 February 2006 - 01:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users