Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Stop Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yog1bear

yog1bear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm running XP Pro SP3 and have just come up with the error: Windows cannot start because vgaoem.fon is missing or corrupt. I can't open in safe mode or to last know good configuration. I didn't get an XP install disc with the computer so can't do a repair. I've tried one that came with a laptop but still get no further. Can't get to a dos prompt to run chkdsk /r.

I've booted from a Kaspersky anti virus CD and performed a scan which didn't show any virus'

Help please,

Juli

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hi yog1bear,

There is a good explanation of this error and possible fix at this site (first answer): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/vgafon-missing-or-corrupt/429d33a4-ef04-470d-9c6a-a4faaf214cd1.

1.) Since you don't have a Windows XP Pro Installation Disk, you will have to make the following Recovery CD.

Automated Recovery CD Creator (ARCDC)
On a computer with internet access and a CD burner, please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
Arrow down and under Downloads, click Latest Exe Download. Save to your Desktop.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe.
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3.
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next, you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.
  • Don't put the CD in the drive until BurnCDCC asks you to.
  • Your XPRC.iso file will be located on your desktop.

2.) Now start the problem computer using the newly created CD:
  • Make sure that your computer is set to boot from the CDROM first. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Put the ARCDC CD in the CDROM and restart the computer.
  • Watch for Press any key to boot from CD... message and hit the <Enter> key.
  • Windows will load a number of files and eventually you will be presented with the following screen:
Posted Image
  • Press "R" to enter the Windows Recovery Console.
  • When asked "Which Windows Installation do you want to log into, if more than one, choose your windows installation; otherwise, "Type "1" (C:\Windows) then <Enter>.
  • Next, at "Type the administrative password," enter the administrator password if you previously set it; otherwise, just press <Enter> as this is by default, blank.
  • You should now see a "C:\Windows" prompt. (If you don't see a "C:\Windows" prompt, stop here and let us know.)
  • At the "C:\Windows" prompt, type:

Now you should be able to run the check disk and copy commands referenced in the article above.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users