Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommend RAM and a CPU for a M4A87TD mobo?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MattShepherd

MattShepherd

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

After two years of computer problems that this and several other forums haven't been able to figure out -- and after replacing every.single.component of my computer except for the CPU and RAM, I've come to the conclusion that I somehow have RAM from the Evil Dimension that manages to pass 8 cycles of Memcheck and yet fails in practice. So, before I take a sledgehammer to this box and light the infernal thing on fire, I'm going to try another brand of RAM, and brand-new sticks, and swap out the CPU because it's the only OTHER non-replaced component in this demon machine.

Looking for recommendations of mid-priced, reliable RAM and a decent CPU for my current mobo: an ASUSTek M4A87TD EVO (AM3). Here's a Speccy with the rest of my system stats, if desired:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ykGv5fdMOAQWG7Fd3XgaCmJ

...also attached as a text file to this message.

Any RAM other than OCZ, that is: even if they're not to blame, I'm choosing to blame them at the moment. It keeps me slightly sane.

EDIT: Oh, and my shopping preference is newegg.ca, if that makes a difference -- the selection there might be different than American sites.

EDIT II: FWIW, I am currently running down the ASUS CPU list for this mobo and cross-referencing it with the newegg site to browse their stock, but general advice on what type of CPU might work best would be welcome.

Attached Files

Edited by MattShepherd, 19 April 2012 - 06:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

If your looking for a reliable ram then this Kingston ram stick should do. For the CPU, something like this and it's also possible to unlock it to a 6 core!

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 MattShepherd

MattShepherd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

I get a little flustered when I try to review the ASUS "official" documentation on what components are compatible and then pair them with NewEgg stock is it hyper-important to only use things from the Official List?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hi, Yes it is important to stay with supported for CPUs.

Well ASUS motherboards can be picky as to what memory works best. They do have a list of memory for your board on their website.

This is the main support page with links to supported CPUs and memory and drivers.
http://support.asus.com/QVL.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=24&m=M4A87TD%20EVO&os=&hashedid=YATvwCy0OZLGNWwp

Memory QVL is here
http://support.asus.com/QVL.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=24&m=M4A87TD%20EVO&os=&hashedid=YATvwCy0OZLGNWwp

CPU support is here, It looks like you could go up to a 6 core CPU. Check bios version first.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=24&m=M4A87TD EVO&os=&hashedid=YATvwCy0OZLGNWwp

Can I assume that you also changed the motherboard and power supply?

I tend to use Kingston myself.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 April 2012 - 10:52 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 MattShepherd

MattShepherd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yes, the above is the new mobo, and the power supply was the first thing to get upgraded. There are only three CPUs listed in the ASUS "approved" stack that are actually stocked by NewEgg, so I guess that gives me a fairly limited choice range:

An Athlon

A Phenom

and another Phenom.

I have no idea how the three stack up, or if there's a better option of one vs. the other. For memory, they seem to have a good match for some Kingston 4GB sticks right off the bat, so I'll probably just go for a pair of those for starters and see how they do.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

There is a option for testing only.

If you have a local computer store they may have some old AM2 CPUs laying around they'd sell cheap. I have for example a Athlon x2 4000 laying here collecting dust at the moment. Just for example as I'm holding onto it to test motherboards with.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 MattShepherd

MattShepherd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

The problem is that the computer is fine about 80% of the time, which makes it really hard to diagnose where the problem is. I've gone ahead and ordered 8GB of the Kingston RAM at NewEgg, being sure to match a part number on the official ASUS list for the mobo. I'll see how that goes, and then maybe spring for a new CPU. Out of the 100+ listed, NewEgg only stocks like three, so it's not like I have to spend a long time deciding.

#8 whitecougar

whitecougar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would get these

Phenom

Ram

I know its only 8gb and not 16gb but I also used OCZ ram almost exclusively and gave crucial a try and was very pleased.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

Those Crucial ram are 2000mhz and the motherboard requires you to overclock it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users