Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help sharing 3g dongle internet with ps3

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Darkfoo

Darkfoo

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

Hi, havent been online in a while and now im stuck using a 3g dongle for internet connection.
Im using a sony vaio laptop running vista. I have two options as far as I can see to share internet with my ps3;

I can connect an ethernet cable from laptop to ps3 enable internet sharing and manually fiddle with ip addresses.
I tried this and the attempt to obtain an ip address keeps timing out so I tried a different way:

I tried connection the laptop to a wireless router, a d-link 615, however I have absolutely no clue how to allow
internet sharing through it. I allowed internet sharing on the laptop which was no problem, I have the laptop
plugged into port 1 not the lan port and when attempting to connect the ps wirelessly to the router it finds it
but no internet.

Can anybody help me to do this? I've had a good look around and just cant find an answer and
im not great with networking at all!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

What is the make and model of the 3g USB adapter and what operating system are you using on the laptop?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

The Dongle is a:
huawei e353 hspa + usb stick

The Operating system is vista

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

Follow these instructions

To set up an ad hoc network:
1. On the Start menu, click Connect To. (or in the search box Type "Network And Sharing" without the quotes)
2. In the Connect to a network window, click the Set up a connection or network task.
3. On the Choose a connection option page, click Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network, and then click Next. (This option only appears on computers that have wireless adapters.)
4. Read the ad hoc network information, and then click Next.
5. Provide a network name (IE: PS3Adhoc), select whether the network is open or requires authentication (your encryption type WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK etc.), provide a security phrase if necessary, Put a Check mark in the Save this connection box. then click next.

Turn on your PS3 and go into the SETTINGS MENU------>NETWORK SETTINGS----->INTERNET CONNECTION SETTINGS then select yes
Next Select EASY--->WIRELESS---->SCAN a list of networks will appear and your network you named in step 5 should be listed.
Select your network and choose the authentication setting you chose in step 5 and enter the encryption key and confirm the network configuration.
Once this is done a list of settings should be displayed

If this does not work we will have to manually enter the TCP/IPsettings on the PS3

Credit:
Microsoft Technet
PS3 Online User's Guide

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 April 2012 - 04:44 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

Ok tried that and no luck. When I serach on the ps3 it doesnt find the adhoc connection at all. It does find the router though is there a way to share the internet from the dongle to laptop to wireless router? If that was the case I could connect the ps3 no problem.

#6 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

I used to have an older model of 3g dongle and I allowed internet sharing and just plugged it directly into the ps3 and I
cant remember exactly what I did but I fiddled with ip addresses and it worked. But now when I plug the laptop directly into the ps3 it wont
identify the connection it keeps trying but failing. Also I used to use ps3 media server a lot but that wont work now either
because the connection never finishes identifying

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I sometimes use Connectify to share wireless connection. You can download the free version. http://www.connectify.me/features/

Tekken

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Set the IP address of the vista computer to static of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. In the start menu select run (or hold the windows key and press "R") and type ncpa.cpl. Select your wireless adapter and right click on it and Select Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol version 4 and click properties. Select the Use the following address bubble and enter 192.168.0.1 for your ip address, 255.255.255.0 for your subnet mask,192.168.0.1 for your Default Gateway. Select Use the Following DNS server address and enter 192.168.0.1 for the primary (secondary is optional but can be the same as primary) . Now you will need to assign a static IP address to the PS3. Follow this brief guide and use the ip 192.168.0.2 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.0.1 and primary DNS 192.168.0.1 (secondary is optional but can be the same as the primary)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

Ok so followed your instructions, on the network connections page I went into the properties of the wireless network connection,
pressuming this is the adaptor? The only other connections are local area connection 2, ps3 and the 3g dongle.

The ps3 connection was switching between enabled and not connected status constantly and after applying your settings it stayed at enabled for while but now its back to switching between enabled and network cable unplugged every few seconds.
I tried to connect the ps3 using easy settings and it said it could not get an ip address and wouldnt allow me to enter any changes,
so I followed the instructions through custom settings and it found an ip address but not internet connection. I have internet sharing allowed through the 3g dongle also.
I know I changed the ip address through the wireless router should I change the ip address of the local area connection because im sharing internet through an ethernet cable not wirelessly?

Also I tried the ps3 media server again and its not connecting either, I'd really like to have that working again as I cant watch any mkv files on my ps3 :(
Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated!

Edited by Darkfoo, 24 April 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

I apologise in advance I completely missed you were still connecting through the router I will post back In a few minutes with the proper settings. Just to double check this time the D-Link will be connected via ethernet to the laptop and the ps3 will be connected via wireless to the router.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

Ok honestly there's no need for the router at all disconnect it and use the setup I had listed previously. The router only makes it more difficult. It should work just fine without it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

I was leaving the router out of it, I was connecting the ps3 via ethernet to the laptop and the dongle in the laptop and followed the settings you gave but still no luck

#13 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

I sometimes use Connectify to share wireless connection. You can download the free version. http://www.connectify.me/features/

@OP

Did you try the above suggestion? I can confirm that it works.

Here's a video on using Connectify to share a 3G connection with gaming consoles:
(mute the audio though)
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#14 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

Ok tried connectify and watched the terrible video, good call on muting it by the way!, however it only allows wireless connection in the lite version and I want a wired share because 3g dongles are not the best so I imagine a wired connection will be better.

Also you cant rename your hotspot or add a wep or wpa key so if anyone scans for a network they see connectify me and open, I have a bandwidth limit so thats a no no for me! But I said id try it anyway and my ps3 still couldnt find the hotspot i placed the laptop both near and far to the ps3 still no luck so Its either the program or my specs dont suit it.

So...any ideas? :-P

#15 Darkfoo

Darkfoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

HAHA! I got it,finally! I used the ip addresses etc above and I came across someone saying that windows firewall effects it so turned off the firewall and success! Have it back on now though and dont like having it off what should I do to allow the connection and still keep the firewall on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users