Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

taskkill criteria not working for hung tab

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

xp pro, ie8

when ie8 has a hung tab, i used to be able to use taskkill with the pid number, and it would only kill that browser instance. now, though, it kills every browser instance. im not sure if this due to ie upgrade or what.

so, i thought i would use different taskkill criteria, using status, or imagename.
i thought this should do it:

taskkill /f /fi "status eq not responding"
or, taskkill /f /fi "imagename eq (imagename in browser's titlebar)"

however these only return "INFO: No tasks running with the specified criteria", of which i don't understand, because the tab is not responding or has that title. is there any other criteria to kill the hung tab, without killing all ie8 instances?
thanks, cogs

ps: i don't want a 3rd party program or browser change/upgrade.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

If a second (or more) window is opened, you can click on the X at the end of that Tab and only that window closes, or right click the program in taskbar / Xclose
This sounds a lot easier than trying a batch file or running a command prompt to close a window

Also your command would need to be much more specific to work -
<<INFO: No tasks running with the specified criteria>> Reason - Not specific enough -

#3 cogs10

cogs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

but this won't address the hung tab. when it's hung, the whole browser is hung, not allowing any clicks of anything in the browser.
the command is from the command prompt, and it's not a batch file. the command is complete for the taskkill program, and not being specific enough would return an error. the 'specified criteria' means that i specified some criteria it didn't find, iow, the command worked.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

but this won't address the hung tab. when it's hung, the whole browser is hung, not allowing any clicks of anything in the browser.

Is a hard shutdown required after this, or can you hit Esc or similar ??

Just as a quick update for us, can you say about how many Tabs are opened prior to this Hanging ??
Will this ever occur with just one Tab open, or is it only once you hit more than, say 3 or 4 Tabs, or an estimate ??

Still searching (one .bat file) but I need to know how you close the session -

Edited by noknojon, 18 April 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#5 cogs10

cogs10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

no hard shutdown. i can even navigate with another instance of the browser. this time it was 3 tabs, but i assume it'll happen with any website (number of tabs) that is hanging the browser. it's just that i happened to have other tabs that i couldn't get back to, since it wouldn't go to the open tab's address. so, since it's hung, i just want to close that instance of the browser with however many tabs it has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users