Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba A50 BIOS Password

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rjp1

rjp1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I bought a Toshiba SA50-112 on EBay and have found that the BIOS is passworded. I have hunted for a solution, removed the CMOS battery and taken it apart to try to find anything to short across and have not found anything that works.
It does not have a parallel port so cant use that device. No floppy drive for a software solution. The person I bought it from said he picked it up in a job lot and cant help. Toshiba are, as always, utterly useless unless I pay them more than the laptop is worth (their standard way of doing business).
Can anyone help me, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Is the password protecting just the bios settings, or does it lock down everything, including boot to the OS?
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Are you sure it's the BIOS password?

Toshiba Hard Disk Password

Louis

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hi,
With Toshiba there are so many different methods of clearing a BIOS password.
Including the challenge response method that only a Toshiba ASP can do that I would look on the Toshiba website and see if they have a ASP near you. The Authorized Service Providers here in the USA are Independents. You might find one that would clear it for $50 US or so. Depends on how busy they are.

However as Louis has asked, if it is a Hard Drive password then there is no way to clear it beyond buying a new Hard Drive.

Good luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 rjp1

rjp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Its a BIOS password. On power-up, goes to splash screen then blank screen with Password_________ on it and nothing else.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Are you sure it's the BIOS password?

Its a BIOS password. On power-up, goes to splash screen then blank screen with Password_________ on it and nothing else.

Is that the computer splash screen or the OS splash screen?

If its the BIOS password then it will only ask for that if you try and access the BIOS with the Functions keys or Del key, it sounds like the the HDD paswword its after.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

The Bios can be set to prevent booting without the password as well as needing the password to access the BIOS settings

The main problem for me is that it is not an American model and I can't pull up any info on it.

Sorry
Good Luck
Roger

I did find this manual although I don't know if it will help
http://tim.id.au/laptops/toshiba/satellite%20a50%20tecra%20a2.pdf

Edited by rotor123, 23 April 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users