Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What OS do you use and why?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 MrFixIt2

MrFixIt2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

For me:

Windows XP Professional.

Why:

I have a few old classic games that work on Windows XP, but not on Vista etc. So I have decided to stick with Windows XP at least for the time being.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

I use a variety for different reasons, my laptop I use XP home because, well quite frankly it isnt powerful enough to handle anything newer, and it fits my needs. My wifes laptop runs 7 home premium, because thats what it comes with, my primary computer and media center run windows 7 ultimate, mainly cuz I like the added features (dont need them just like them) and I often dual boot my primary system with different varieties of linux just for fun.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

I have two specialized programs that I need. They run in Windows, and there are no real Linux alternatives, so my old IBM ThinkCentre runs the Windows XP that it came with.

For everything else my little netbook with Ubuntu works fine. I boots up in about 90 seconds, and it's a pleasure to use.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Desktop: Windows 7 x64 Home Edition, because I can play games without the extra hassle of Linux and when I built the system the Data Card I used wouldn't work on more modern Linux kernels.

Laptop: Linux Mint 12 x64 w/ Cinnamon Desktop Environment, had a Vista/Ubuntu dual boot on it until I got fed up with both OS's and wanted to try something new. Give me time and I'll end up running Redhat/Fedora again.

Posted Image

#5 Rickey Owens

Rickey Owens

• Banned Spammer
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

I am using Windows 7 Home Basic OS. I would say that Windows OS is as user friendly as any other operating systems. Even a novice user can operate it easily.

Edited by Rickey Owens, 30 July 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#6 BaronMalleus

BaronMalleus

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

I am operating Vista on my work computer because they don't let me make IT decisions. I run 7 basic at home on my desk top because it had Vista on it from the factory and I badgered them to give me the upgrade for a discount because of how many times it had to be reinstalled. I also have a laptop with Vista on it, but I am looking at putting XP on it, because Vista. There are no words. Just Vista...

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

>>>I also have a laptop with Vista on it, but I am looking at putting XP on it, because Vista. There are no words. Just Vista...<<<

***SNICKER*** Thanks for the guffaw.:lol:

Running 7 Home Prem x64 with XP, Ubuntu 12.04 & Snow Leopard 10.6.8 VM's on VMWare becuz....well...becuz I can. :P
I also have XPSP3 (nLited) on an old Dell Inspiron I restored, completely reboots to desktop in 35-40 seconds.

Edited by Union_Thug, 30 July 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#8 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

I also have a laptop with Vista. I had a previous laptop with Vista. As someone who is quick to defend at least SP2 (+ a million updates), I agree with BaronMalleus. No words sometimes at the strange stuff it does. No words.

I'm going to switch this laptop over to 7 soon, hopefully. I prefer the WIndows OS mostly because it's all I've ever used all my life and my favorite PC games work beautifully on it. However, if I have to choose between Windows 8 and getting a Mac, I'm getting a Mac!

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#9 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

win xp pro because it still runs most old stuff. will upgrade when win 12 comes out.{i like to let others get the bugs out before i try it}

#10 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

I got too many computers. lol My primary computer is a Dell XPS 17 with Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Toshiba Netbook with Windows 7 Starter

Dell Poweredge Tower Server with Windows Server 2008R2(as a desktop)

An old Dell Dimension 2400 with Ubuntu Server 10.04(I think) which is on it's last leg.

#11 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

I have Win98se :) (My favourite OS)

#12 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:35 AM

I've stuck with Win XP Home for quite a few years because it plays every game and flight sim (new and old) that I throw at it..:)

#13 MegaDan5

MegaDan5

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit because that's what came with my desktop.

Don't really remember what's running on my old laptop because I haven't powered it up in a while.

#14 CodyP

CodyP

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

I am running windows 7. Why? Because I think it just flows better than the others, I like the look and feel.

#15 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

I'm currently using Win7. I used XP for years, skipped right over Vista, heard a lot of bad things about it. When I built my computer, 3-4 years ago (?) I installed Win7. I have not formatted, yet. That's a record for me. I think the longest before this was around 2 years. I've had no problems at all with 7, so I'll keep it around for a while. :blink:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users