Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Officejet 6500A: PC sees printer on network will not connect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flo_cat

flo_cat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

At my job we have an HP Officejet 6500A. When I first set it up about three or four months ago, everything was fine. It was set up into a wired network, via ethernet cable to be utilized by three computers. About a month ago, my PC began having trouble communicating with it. As far as I know, nothing was changed on my PC. I was able to resolve the problem by either shutting down my PC and restarting, or turning off the printer, restarting it and waiting for almost 5 minutes for anything to finally print. Needless to say, I'm the main paperwork person here, and so going through this every time I need to print something was absurd.

I finally decided to uninstall completely and reinstall. So, I uninstalled everything related to that printer, and reinstalled it. When I reinstalled (wired network), my PC found it on the network, but when it came to connecting and then completing the installation, I'd get a window with an image of a PC and router, and a printer, with a big red X between the router and the printer. Obviously, they would not connect. I shut off my fire wall and tried again, and then again. I then tried HP's "diagnostic tool", which said in a long winded way: "turn off your firewall". NICE!!! I already did that. So, I called HP. We set up so the tech person could look at my computer and he poked around a bit and looked at what I already saw and said, "I've determined everything is o.k. with the printer, it's a problem with the software and you will have to pay to have it fixed." REALLY!!!! I said "no". We paid for the software from the start, it should work.

I found that there may be some updates that I was missing, so I downloaded them and installed them and tried again. Same result as above. Thinking maybe there was a stray HP file causing a problem, I found an HP scrubber utility that would remove all the HP printer related files, at different levels for each time you ran it. I ran it twice, got nervous about having files removed, because I wasn't sure what the impact would be so didn't run it any more. Reinstalled ... same result. Needless to say, my boss is getting frustrated with me spending so much time on this.

Here are some bits of info that may help:
1) The other two PC's here communicate well with the print, no problem. My co-worker has no problem printing if I am not here, but if I am using my PC (when it was hooked up to the printer) he would have intermittent problems. Now that I am not connected, he is having no trouble.
2) My boss changed his PC to a Windows 7 PC about a month or two ago, could that have changed a connection with the network router?
3) When put the URL/IP Address into my browser (from the Network Configuration Page printed via the printer), I can access the printer.
4) I noticed that one time, when I printed the Network configuration page the URL/IP address was different from the next time I printed it. Not sure if that's normal or not.
5) I was and will be after all this is resolved, networked to two other printers, an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 and an HP Color LaserJet 2840 (those connections worked fine).
6) I also tried connecting as a wireless connection, by disconnecting the ethernet cable, with the same results (I was thinking maybe there was something wrong with the cable, but it is fine).

I hope I was detailed enough. I did so many things on this that remembering everything is a bit hard. Any help or being pointed in the right direction would be great. And please keep the tech talk down a bit, I enjoy technology and have a fairly good feel for computers, but I'm not a "full on" computer nerd. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

If the IP address is changing then the printer is most likely using DHCP to get an address. I am a big fan of giving all printers on the network a static IP to eliminate any networking issues. It sounds like the HP software itself is having issues with the IP setup on your computer probably due to some kind of addressing conflict.

First thing I would do is to set the printer with a static IP address. You can do this at the printer itself. If you do not understand IP addressing then get help from whoever does your maintainance work. Am incorrect setting here can really cause problems with more than the printer. Keep in mind after you set the static IP you will have to change the IP address in the properties of the printer on every computer or they will not be able to print.

Next I would open a command line and type- ipconfig /flushdns. This will empty out any old dns entries in your cache.
Download the basic print and scan driver from HP and install that. Hopefully these will get you going.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users