Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq CQ70 Screen issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hi,
I have a compaq CQ70 which had no display, just the backlight on.
I connected it to an external monitor and it worked, so I replaced the screen. Now when I turn the laptop on i get no display, just feint blue horizontal lines across the screen.These lines go across a black screen.
Also, now I cannot get a connection to an external display. I have tried Fn+F4 to switch displays with no joy.
Is this a sign that now the integrated graphics have died?

Thanks,
Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

It sounds like the display adapter could be going. However you may have missed Something on re-assembly are you able to get the external working by re-installing the old panel? Did you also Change the display Inverter? Make sure ALL of the cables are seated firmly and completely in their slots and there are no extra wires. Make sure the unit is plugged in. You can download the service manual here. I would use the manual and start from scratch dissasemble the laptop and reassembled it carefully following he guide.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 April 2012 - 02:55 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

I tried with it disassembled and assembled, i tired a different video cable and different inverter and all possible combinations.
Putting the old display back in i still dont get a display on an external monitor.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

One last check are you able to test the external monitor on another machine to be SURE its still working properly. If it checks out I would suspect the graphics are fried. :rip:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

The monitor is usually connected to a desktop computer and works fine. Also works fine connected to another laptop.

Thanks for the confirmation

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Sorry for the bad news. You are very welcome for the Help. :busy:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer