Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I wipe my PC safely using this method?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kkid

kkid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I have a Toshiba A660-11M laptop which came pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium.

As with most laptops, I had a recovery partition on my hard drive. In my case this was 5GB as it contained the operating system, drivers and all of Toshiba's bloatware.

I have came to a stage where I wish to wipe my computer for many reasons as sorting out everything will be extremely time consuming.

I first tried to wipe my computer by booting into the recovery partition, however it turns out that ti has been badly damaged beyond repair (even if it could be repaired I would not trust it anymore). Therefore, using this method is a definite no.

I then tried to use what I thought was a recovery disc that I made, however it turns out it was a system repair disc and not a system recovery disc, therefore I cannot use that either.

I then tried to create a system recovery disc, however Toshiba's software would not let me as the recovery partition was corrupt.

After lots of research, came across the following method. Does anybody have any experience with this method and how safe do you think it would be?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html#tk.nl_wvx_h_cbintro

Basically, the method involves burning my own windows 7 installation disc (just windows 7, nothing else) and booting using that to reformat my entire hard drive and installing windows 7.

I am finding it strange that this method is not publicised very much at all, this is making me cautious of using it.

I am aware that I will have to install Windows 7 using this disc and then go to Toshiba's website for all of my drivers, I am prepared to do this.

Do you think this method is safe?

(I am also aware that I can buy the Toshiba recovery disc from Toshiba, the issue with this is the price, i really cannot afford to do this at the moment, I am a student and am struggling so much with cash at the moment - therefore, i need a free way of wiping my system).

Thank you for reading, I hope to hear from one of you soon.

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2012 - 01:39 PM.
Edited for readability.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Quote, 3d para of article...answers your query, IMO:

"However, we don't recommend that you delete your recovery partition or throw away your existing recovery discs. Although many people have had success with the following procedure, others have not. Some users have not been able to activate their copy of Windows even after entering a valid product key, while others own PCs that require software not included in a Windows 7 ISO. You have no way to know whether this procedure will work for you until you try, and you need a backup plan in case it doesn’t."

Louis

#3 kkid

kkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

no, it doesn't.

I can't use partitions or recovery disks and therefore this is my last option.

Shall I do it or not?

#4 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Sure, that would work fine. When installing, just select custom install and you can delete any and all partitions.

If you're looking for a more secure wipe, download and burn UBCD, which contains a large number of bootable tools -- one being Darik's Boot & Nuke. This will allow you to securely wipe your drive using different methods/passes of your choice. Good luck!

Edited by kisk, 18 April 2012 - 04:00 PM.

Posted Image

#5 kkid

kkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

So do you recommend formatting my computer completely before installing windows from the disc which I will make?
Why would this benefit? Wouldn't the windows installation disc reformat my hard drive anyway?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Just my version -
After bad problems on my Toshiba Satellite, I called Toshiba and asked about Recovery DVDs (cryptodans idea)
I sent $65 and had the set of 5 Genuine Toshiba Windows7 Full Recovery DVDs delivered at my home in 3 days
These are now mine for life and I can recover the O/S any time. But it is like a full reinstall and all data was overwritten -

I also burned these DVDs and now have a spare 2nd set on hand for use on any similar Toshiba Satellite -

#7 kkid

kkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

but why should I bother to spend all of that money (when I really do not have the spare cash) when this method can be used to do exactly the same thing but without any of the bloatware that Toshiba puts in the discs?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hi,
If you go the clean install method, keep in mind that your Toshiba will work better if you download all the drivers and utilities from Toshiba's website.

Some of the utilities and special software there let the hardware work properly. It's not all bloatware. If yours supports it some of the Toshiba utils are handy such as the one to park the hard drive heads if motion is detected to prevent damage to the hard drive. Or the OSD for the Fn + Function key options and so on.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hello kkid,

If I were in your shoes, I would first try to borrow a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium from a friend and install using the key on the COA sticker on your laptop. That alone would probably violate some copyright law, but you paid for the licence when you bought the laptop right.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

I recently performed a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on a new SSD drive using the downloaded iso file from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/.

My original Windows 7 had a retail key so I had no problem with the installation and activation. It saved me from all the pre and post SP1 updates. OEM may be a different story.

Here is an interesting link regarding OEM versions and installation of Windows 7: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34372-63-copy.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

<<I recently performed a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on a new SSD drive using the downloaded iso file from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/.>>

Just an FYI item that I believe members should be aware of...see Are Digital River's download links illegal for use by people not - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/are-digital-rivers-download-links-illegal-for-use/9a121cdc-6c23-481a-bd5c-2753f2578423 .

Louis

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Thank you Louis for that info.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic