Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Auto. Update doesn't always work?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Running Belarc Advisor it told me of 4 critical Windows updates, namely KB2653956, 2656368, 2656369 and 2675157.
Going to Windows Update it indicated these plus one more KB890830 (be that as it may).
However it also stated that Automatic Update is On (as always) so how is it that I have never been informed that these updates were ready (as usual) to be downloaded and installed? Is it that Auto Update does not always work? Running Windows Update on another XP Pro computer I use on the same ISP, same router, indicated no updates needed.
Any advice please.

OS XP Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hi -
Have you looked in Windows Updates (Review Update History) to check if these items are listed as Failed OX << Red cross in circle

First try MS Fixit tool to repair the windows updates if there is a problem
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

Please let us know how this M/soft FixIt goes -

Thank You -
EDIT - a few people have had problems with these 2 KB items - 2656368, 2656369
The Fixit item has helped them

Edited by noknojon, 18 April 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for your response.

The following relates to my other PC which has the same kind of problem but perhaps gives a clue.

There was no update icon in the system tray but running Windows update revealed 14! & 7 failed to install.

Looking in my Update history gives all my failed ones which are all for MS Office which I don't have but I do have the Office Powerpoint viewer and the Office Word viewer (both failed) which are also on my other computers. I have never seen any MS info on this possible glitch which perhaps gives no problem but could do if security issues in Office also can occur in the Viewers.

In the Windows Update FAQs of course there is no mention of this problem. Now I have a persistent update icon in the tray of those uninstallable 7 failed ones! I just hope these are not really critical - but they have been there for a long time I think and have not had problems.

The Fixit did help on my other computer for a couple of failed ones but not for these Office ones - that is good advice.

I'm not using any computer for a few weeks so I'll try again then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users