Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice For Increasing Ram Memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jujosa

jujosa

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

I have a PC, Pentium II with 128 MB of RAM memory and Windows 98SE. When I boot it takes too long to load all the software and it does work very slow. I read somewhere in BC that increasing the RAM memory will help a lot. And here I need the advise from one of the BC experts.

Should I install an additonal 128 MB stick, which together with the available one will add up to 256 MB?.
Or should I buy a new 250 MB board, install it and uninstall the available 128 MB stick?. Or should I let both installed the 128 MB and the new 256 MB board adding up tp 384 MB of RAM memory?. Will the PC work properly with this combination?

I have seen that there are SDRAM 168 memory boards working at 100 MHz and others at 133 MHZ. Which one should I get when the main board (440BX A) is working at 100 MHz?.

I would very much appreciate any help from you side.

Thanks
jujosa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:31 PM

I have 13 P-II/P-III computers at the house, for me and kids. I bumped them all up to 512 and 768mb of RAM. The W2k computers are 512 (plenty) the XP Pro to 768mb. Truth be knoen 512 was probably enough for what I do. It makes all the differnece in the World. It does not use near the swap file it use to. If you need more processor there is slot 1 to 370 adapator that will let you upgrade from a P-II 400mhz to, a 1ghz to 1.4ghz chip and it's plug and play.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

Regarding the RAM speeds 133MHz is fine for a 100MHz board, it just runs slower than it could. If the board is capable of running at 133MHz (check your manual) and all the RAM is 133MHz rated then that is the speed you will get. But if you mix in 100MHz RAM then the whole lot will run at 100MHz.

Which one should I get when the main board (440BX A) is working at 100 MHz?.

Whichever is cheaper. (Provided it's from a quality manufacturer like Kingston or Corsair, etc)

I'd suggest putting in an additional 256MB to go to 384MB total.

Then start looking at what programs are running at startup, what unnecessary junk can be cleaned out of the PC and doing anti-malware and anti-virus scans to be sure your system is 'clean'.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:34 PM

On the topic of PC100 vs PC133. You want to make sure it is Low Density RAM For P-II and P-III PC100 computers. PC133 low density RAM will work.

#5 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

Hi Acklan and Rimmer!

Thanks for your fast and accurate replay. It is great to have such excellent experts at the other end of the line willing to help.

I will follow yor proposal and get an additional 256 MB board and go to 384 MB total. As you indicated, it can be a 100 MHz or a 133 MHz stick whatever is cheaper.

Rimmer, I run periodically Spybot, AVG, Ad-aware SE and Easy-Cleaner, so I asume that the PC is clean. Following your suggestion, I will look into the startup and eliminate anything unnecessary.

Thanks again for your fast and excellent responses to my request.
jujosa

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:54 PM

If you go with 133 be sure it is Low Density. It is very important. High Density RAM will not work on thep-II and older P-III computers. Also some RAM was designed for VIA chepsets only and will not work on Intel systems.

#7 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:39 PM

Hi Acklan
Thanks for the advise.
In this case it would be better and safer if I buy a 100 MHz, 256 MB board?. I assume this version will work better with the P-II PC. Should this board also be low density?
Best regards
Jujosa

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

Not a bad plan but as long as the memory is low density and not restricted to Via chipsets You should be safe. I have found ECC memory cheaper and is also OK as long as your system supports ECC. Check the BIOS or the only documentation to see what memory is supported.
I agree with Rimmer with upgrading to 384mb of RAM. If you are going to XP then 512 would be prudent, but if you are not sure then wait. Used PC100 RAM is plentiful and will be available for a while.

#9 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:46 PM

Acklan
Thanks one more time for your help.
I will go for the 256 MB ram, PC 100 MHz and combine it with the availabkle 128 MB stick.

You and Rimmer helped me a lot.
Best regards
jujosa

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:49 PM

We will be here when ever you need us. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users