Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:57 PM
Have a client's laptop that I have been doing battle with an infection, and I have reached the point of giving up and am ready to call in the cavalry.
- Windows 7 Home Premium system
- Have used a combination of NOD32 (removed the hard drive and connected as a secondary in a clean system), Spybot, MalwareBytes, and SuperAntiSpyware (all in Safe Mode) to be fairly confident that the infection itself has been obliterated
- At this point the desktop, Documents folders, and Start Menu were all empty / blank
- Have manually reset the Start Menu settings, used "show hidden files" to maually repair folder permissions, and run Unhide.exe
- Only remaining problem is that the subfolders under All Programs in the Start Menu are all empty.
- The backup location Users\user name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp also contains only empty folders.
- Atempting to access Previous Versions of this folder, and of the main location in ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu says that there are no previous versions available.
What's next? I can manually repopulate the Start Menu folders by making shortcuts from the Program Files directories, but I'd really rather not.