Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Infection, Start Menu Programs Folders Are Empty

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerPower

ComputerPower

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Greetings all,

Have a client's laptop that I have been doing battle with an infection, and I have reached the point of giving up and am ready to call in the cavalry.

- Windows 7 Home Premium system
- Have used a combination of NOD32 (removed the hard drive and connected as a secondary in a clean system), Spybot, MalwareBytes, and SuperAntiSpyware (all in Safe Mode) to be fairly confident that the infection itself has been obliterated
- At this point the desktop, Documents folders, and Start Menu were all empty / blank
- Have manually reset the Start Menu settings, used "show hidden files" to maually repair folder permissions, and run Unhide.exe
- Only remaining problem is that the subfolders under All Programs in the Start Menu are all empty.
- The backup location Users\user name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp also contains only empty folders.
- Atempting to access Previous Versions of this folder, and of the main location in ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu says that there are no previous versions available.

What's next? I can manually repopulate the Start Menu folders by making shortcuts from the Program Files directories, but I'd really rather not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

The backup location Users\user name\AppData\Local\Temp\smtmp also contains only empty folders.

Unfortunately you'll have restore all shortcuts manually.
See my guide HERE

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 ComputerPower

ComputerPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Unfortunately you'll have restore all shortcuts manually.
See my guide HERE

I was afraid of that. Going to be a major pain in the rear. Any other options that could be tried?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Unfortunately not.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users