Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec Endpoint - update question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chela236

chela236

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hi,

I have a unique situation: I work freelance but one computer is dedicated to one a company in another state. They will be closing this location in the next couple months and I have not had work from them for almost 2 months and have pretty much been left behind. However, they have provided SEP b/c I connect via VPN to their server for file and software/license access. I assume that it will just end one day if/when they "pull the plug" so to speak. Due to the commotion down there I cannot get thru to any tech folks so here I am.

I have never given SEP much thought (it scans, does live update, etc. just fine) until now. Unlike other AV products there is not the usual update option from an "about" menu, but since I am preparing for other changes I went to Sym' site and was prompted to download AutoDetectPkg.exe. (A side note, I have gotten a message about not using current version when sending an email a couple times in the last week or so which has also brought me to this link)

I have not run the .exe yet as I do not want to do anything while the company still controls the program that might compromise things - want to get what I can from them for now. I was assuming it was constantly updating on my machine. Can anyone clarify...

1. should I run this? if so, will it impact current program in any way? http://updatecenter.norton.com/Manual/AutoDetect
2. will it just "end" when said company shuts down (some nice tech guy gives me warning)
3. any suggestions on options from SEP to downgrading once I lose it?

I have NIS on another machine and AVG on a laptop (UGH - major bog down).

thanks for help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hi -
First would this be classified as a Small Business, or a Larger Company ??MSE offers Free anti-virus protection for up to 10 PCs -
I have found Microsoft Security Essentials for small business works very well (updates, scans, protects etc.)
Ideal for smaller business systems - avast! is another good option - Also much lighter than Norton / Symantec products -

You do not give much detail on whether there are 5 or 50 PCs involved, so any options are limited -

Please leave details on, number of PCs / Operating Systems / Expectations / Included Firewalls / and anything else you can think of -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users