Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

6 year old handcuffed

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

You have got to be kidding me!!

Was this child out of control...Yes she was...BUT for the love of pete she's only 6 years old!
You mean to tell me that a grown man can't subdue a hissy fit throwin 6 year old??
Handcuffs??
I really find this rather disturbing...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20120417/US.Kindergartner.Handcuffed/?cid=hero_media

Wonderin What the SAM HILL is goin on??

MissPlaced

Edited to add,I deal with behavioral problem kids all the time,at one of the "Alternative Schools" the front door glass was repeatedly kicked out and this was by much older kids,the police were called, BUT not once was there the use of handcuffs.

This is a 6 year old little girl.

Edited by MissPlaced, 17 April 2012 - 12:28 PM.

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

If they could not calm the child down, what else could they do? It may seem radical but what would you have done any differently *IF* you had offered cookies and milk and tried calming her down with soothing words, but yet she continued the outlandish behavior? If she had hurt herself while acting out in the crazy why they described, they probably would have been in deep doodoo for not restraining her somehow so she couldn't.

Now I don't know... maybe these officers lied and could have talked her down but just chose to handcuff her..I was not there. But if they told the truth about her actions, I would have been at a loss to do anything differently myself.

I'm sure it would have been best to just step back and let her go nuts until she was too tired to continue..but again, what if she hit her head or got up on a chair and jumped off and broke a bone?

At least she was safe by being restrained with the cuffs.

Edited by lora777, 17 April 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#3 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

6, was accused of tearing items off the walls and throwing books and toys in an outburst Friday at Creekside Elementary School in Milledgeville, according to a police report.

Police said a small shelf thrown by the child struck the principal in the leg during the fracas. The child also jumped on a paper shredder and tried to break a glass frame, the police report states.

The school called police. When an officer tried to calm the child in the principal's office, she resisted, police say. She "was restrained by placing her hands behind her back and handcuffed," a police report states.

I have several questions here:
1) It would appear that this started in the class room, so how did they get Salecia Johnson TO the principals office in the first place??

2)IF it started in the principals office( there's no mention of the sex of the principal)if it was a male principal, all he had to do was call in a Female as a witness, during the attempt( If He/She did attempt to restrain Salecia)???Why was she in the principals office in the first place??

3) something had to set her off and cause her meltdown, What was it???

4) Since The police were able To Cuff Her,they had to at some point have Physical Control over her, now remember this is a 6 year old Little girl,not a teenager....THese are Adults, once they gained physical control,couldn't they keep physical control???and if not why??

Now I'm sure this child was pure hell on Wheels to deal with i'm sure, these situations take time to resolve and calm collected heads, they weren'tdealing with the tasmania devil after all just a 6 year old having a meldown.

Milk and Cookies (giggle) no that would be for me after it was all over and there better be a shot of tequila in that milk :lol:

MissPlaced

Edited by MissPlaced, 17 April 2012 - 04:21 PM.

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Lol I wish I had a pair when I worked daycare. It may seem extreme, but have u ever tried holding down a child like that while trying to keep up with at least 10 other children? Extreme, sure, abusive? No id say not. Not sure if id do the same or not but I can understand why for sure.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Why yes, yes i have...why do you think i have special milk and cookies after it's all over... :lmao:

Seriously tho, I do think this is extreme,Once they had physical control over her the battle was won...there was no need for handcuffs, yes i'm sure she was kicking and screaming bloody murder, trying to bite ect.ect....common sense say's get her on the floor on her tummy, once you've done that getting her hands and feet under control is easy..the rest is just a matter of riden out the rest of her tantrum..it took alot of energy for her to throw such a tantrum, so she'd tire out pretty quick..call momma, have momma come and get her tantrum throwin behind....then suspend her.

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#6 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I don't know...after reading the entire routine it would take according to you to get her under-control and then keep her there, I consider it far better to just hand cuff her...safer for her and total nonsense to have to go through such an ordeal just to stop a child from throwing a tantrum....

Assuming it was just that.

The children are what they are today because the Bible and paddle was taken out and the teachers are suppose to keep order and control with no means to do it.

My two cents.

#7 Galyn

Galyn

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

This kid needs help... she was restrained for the better. She may have hurt herself during this outburst.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

theres some truth to that, I have had instances were the kid simpply wouldnt stop, I had one instance I was taking 8 kids to the park, and one kid got mad and threw a tempertantruum like the one in the article, and just plain took off. I was of course the only teacher (we were understaffed) outside, and had to leave the other 7 kids by themselves to get the one, because she was the type to never come back (literally) I had to endanger the other kids to get that one, who got dragged back in. Some kids literelly, can fight for hours-Ive seen it happen, and if you physically restrain them it takes a lot of energy-and muscle, and as long as all your doing is holding them, they think theres a chance of escape, and the chances of them or you getting injured in the struggle go up the longer it happens, while a pair of handcuffs might actually deter it, because theres that little thing in the kids mind that knows theres no escaping handcuffs.

So were the use of handcuffs in this situation the best route? I don't know, I dont think I would have used them, if for no other reason then to avoid the chances of people yelling abuse (even if there is none, we know how todays world is) but I don't feel there was any abuse here, the child obviously was throwing one heck of a temperatantruum-not only was the child removed from the class room, and then taken to the head office, and on top of that-the child was obviously still throwing the fit when the police arrived, which I garentee wernt called in immediatly. Furthermore, there were no charges filed, the child merely suspended. So a little extreme, yes. abuse? no.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

If the principal / teacher / officer restrained her without cuffs and she fought hard enough to break her arm... would that be excessive force? Could you see the headlines for that case? She was out of control and I would bet the staff were already worried about how they would restrain her. There is already a huge cloud over the heads of those people in that position to act without getting themselves or their district sued. Then she was aggressive against law enforcement and that was okay??? No.

I hate to break out the in the old days book... but I would have had my butt worn out by my parents if I had did anything like that. And they would have made me apologize to all those involved for my actions.

Seriously, do you really think the kid was at all justified by her actions??? No matter what caused her to go off, a 6 year old doesn't throw furniture at adults.

I think the officer used he best judgement and stopped the incident and therefore protected the child. She was contained and wasn't caused any further injury unless she forced upon it herself. Someone needs to really work with this girl or she will be a terror when she gets older. I hope they pause and setup counseling for her and her parents.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

One time when i was in school i was out of control also and did some of the same stuff she did...... I thankfully got myself in control (They were gonna call my parents and I didnt want that!)

Whats up with people BOTHERING THE POLICE ABOUT EVERY BLASTED THING THESE DAYS??

Like they dont have enough to deal with already!!

Edited by groovicus, 18 April 2012 - 08:09 AM.
Removed quote. No need to read the same thing twice.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

Well obviously the staff couldnt contain the child, and they prolly couldnt get ahold of the parents, not that threat of parents would ve done any good-judging by their reaction to the situation they wouldnt of done anything.

picard5.jpg

#12 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Watched the parents this am on the news and I have to agree with the_patriot11's call on this one. I don't know about handcuffing little children but, (I too am bringing out the old book :thumbup2: ) the mere presence of a police officer coming to school because of my actions would have been sobering enough for me to to calm down, especially at that age. :whistle: :whistle:

Edited by Sani-T-Capt1, 18 April 2012 - 08:49 AM.

Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#13 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

@ rigel,
I never once said that Salecia's actions were ok on any level,
What I did say was that this was handled very badly!!

IMHO, these are the step's that should have been taken...
1)When Salecia's meltdown started, they should have called momma.( this wasn't done until after the fact) If momma had been called, then the rest of what happened wouldn't have happened, that's just common sense, and in the best interest of everybody concerned including Salecia!

2) Salecia was surrounded by grown ADULTS, that were able to remove her from the classroom and get her to the principals office, so some measure of control was there,they should have used that to their advantage instead of freaking out.

rigel foing what i do for a living, i'm well aware of how careful we have to be when handling children, there's always gonna be some parent that's lookin to "Stike it rich" by a lawsuit against the school district.

Case in point:every year the main office get's request's by parent's to have the same driver for their child because they are pleased with the service that they received, now the main office can't grant these request's because routes change ect,,

BUT the one time that they did grant this request was for "The hateful , Evil , Devil Child"

Now I call her this for good reason, This Child was 14 years old and her reputation was known far and wide, NOBODY and I literally mean NOBODY wanted to deal with her, she had been thru 14 aides, who swore that they'd quit first if they had to deal with her ever againand a good many of them did quit!
contractor's didn't want to touch her either,
The reason that I know all of this is because i was the "LUCKY" recipent of that request( sometimes it's just so much fun to be me...)
Her mother (who had and was always looking for away to sue the school),her aide at the time,and the school, all made that request( the turn coats) because they werer impressed with the way that I handled her....
( benedict Arnolds , all of em),my take on this "OOO just shoot me now!! and don't yell at me if one mornin she comes to school tied to the luggage rack!"

Bow i'm not the baddest driver on the block, so that wasn't the reason that I was given this child...
I do 2 things with kids like this, First I pray and then i let them know that i'm not gonna put up with any of their crapola..peroid,
She knew beyong the shadow of a doubt that i mean't what i said and said what i mean't...she tried me a couple of times to see if i mean't it..she learned quickly that I did.
This child was the "purest Form Of HELL ON WHEELS"
My only control over her was simply this, her daddy didn't play the game that her momma did,he didn't let her get away with anything..so all i had to do was threaten to call her daddy...case closed over and out..LOL
my point rigel is that even with a "Hateful, Evil Devil Child" theres always a a way to control them, you just have to look for it and use the good sense that the GOOD LORD gave you....

With Salecia, this didn't happen and they made more of a mess for themselves in the long run.

and rigel don't worry about that "old Book" i was raised by that old book, my daddy would have , shall we say made it impossible for me to eat my meals sittin down...he wasn't much for spankin, but in a situation like this,i would have been holdin my hind parts in my hands and winderin if i could get it back in place ever again... :lol:

Respectfully

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#14 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

@4dude,
At many of the schools that i service(and not the alternative schools,there is a system in place for those, if you mess up that bad you got what we refer to as "next to KIDDY Jail, ie, their patted down, metal dectors are used, theyget their education in locked classrooms's ect, the last and final step IS KIDDY JAIL, where depending on the offense they can live their until their 21)If an officer is needed at the "Alternative Schools" then one is called....anyway the "Regular Schools" already have a police officer assigned to them and is on campus all day long( this however didn't stop the Hateful evil devil child..it only brought out her competetive side)These officers are usually older and more mature and don't freak out at the small stuff, like Salecia's tantrum.

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#15 MissPlaced

MissPlaced
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

@ the_patroit 11 &STC1,

I totally understand where you comming from, BUt it has been my experience with parents such as these that
1) they don't want to be interupted, so they just plain ignore thier childs behavior
B)IF they get a cal from the school about their childs behavior, they feel that it's then in their best interest to take care of the matter because they don't want "Other People messin in their business"
Be it sleepin all day, spendin their time at the local waterin hole(Bar)ect ect.. so they make sure that their child behaves in school....

like you, i kinda got the feelin that "momma and Auntie" were lookin for their 15 minutes of fame"....
This is truely sad for Salecia,because in the end she really is the victim here...unless their forced to go to parenting class's and child behavioral class's, this kid is in deep trouble for the rest of her life.

RESPCTFULLY
MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users