Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Does This Happen?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 compu95

compu95

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:08 AM

Let me start by saying that I am a computer novice to say the least so forgive me if I do not explain my question correctly.

I have a laptop and use Net-Zero as my i.s.p., my desktop at home I have aol as my i.s.p. I have never used net-zero on my desktop and it is not even intstalled, nor have I accessed my net zero e-mail from my desktop while on aol.

I noticed that I have net zero cookies on my desktop though...

How does this happen?
How can I prevent this?
Is this something that I should be concerened with?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to try to help me with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

do you ever share files to or from your laptop to or from your desktop computer?
have you ever been to net zero website from your desktop? to look up something even?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:38 AM

Always set your browser to ask before accepting cookies, and you will have the opportunity to deny them from sites you don't trust. Cookies from trusted sites generally are not harmful, and can be very helpful (Borders, for example, sets a cookie so it remembers the three closest stores near you when searching for a book to see if it is instock; other cookies contain site passwords or homepage information.)
Either running Ad-AwareSE or Spybot Search and Destroy will produce of list of harmful cookies that you can, and probably should, delete.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 compu95

compu95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:48 PM

I do not share files from the laptop to the desktop or vice versa, nor have I accessed net-zero from my laptop.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when I turn on my computer I receive the following message:

" Your SQL Server Installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with (unknown package i.d.) Please re-run setup"

I have no idea what that means or how to correct it.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users