Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Identifying WHOIS behind "Windows Critical Scanner"?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BallyZACA

BallyZACA

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

ATTN: MODERATOR - If this posting is misplaced by category, heading, and/or objective, please contact me at your earliest convenience, as my intent is NOT to use this website, forums, and discussions in ANY manner that might be in conflict with www.BleepingComputer.com policy!

Having been infected by a program called "WINDOWS CRITICAL SCANNER", designed to SCAM the public out of $19.95 for protection from infection (viruses, trojans, worms, etc.), by (a) disabling current legitimate protection programs, i.e., Windows Security Essentials, Zone Alarm + others; (B) disabling browsers, i.e., IE, Firefox, etc., © takes control of Windows Task Manager; (d) disables auto failure reporting issues to Microsoft; and (e) possibly other issues yet identified!

My objective is to identify WHO created this SCAM program, and WHO has used said program to profit from their criminality? This is what can only be described as an illegal TRESPASS, as the infected is NOT given the option to consider WHAT is being offered when clicking the HOT-LINK that immediately infects one's computer, thereafter, causing the issues identified above.

Any HELP would be appreciated from ANYONE who seeks a safer internet for surfing. The ONLY way to rid these criminals from their devious tactics and objectives to profit by scamming the public and holding those infected hostage for payment in order to accept their demands. My intent is to SEEK out and identify these CRIMINALS, and FILE A CLASS-ACTION SUIT on behalf of those infected and refusing payment (such as myself), as well as those who have been infected and paid their ransom, as the easiest way to resolve their problem. I don't fault those that have paid, however, you've accepted without free will, or knowledge of what is behind such a scam. Possibly MILLIONS OF DOLLARS may have been extorted from the public to date, by payment of the $19.95 scam program.

Thank You, for taking the time to read the above and feel free to contact me anytime regarding this issue!

Curt
EDIT Removed Email address to prevent spam bot harvesting~~boopme
-END-

Edited by Blade, 20 April 2012 - 11:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

If you paid with a credit card, you can seek reimbursement from the CC company.

If you paid cash, kiss your money goodbye and put it down to experience because these scammers tend to be located in countries like the Ukraine and Russia and even if you were to spend 100 times the money you lost tracking them down, they can still hide behind corrupt officials who'll just laugh at your futile attempts to expose them. If you persist in your endeavour, you'll only make yourself miserable and my advice it to forget about it and get on with your life.

#3 BallyZACA

BallyZACA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hey Netherlands. . .

... No I didn't pay their ransom, but its the criminals intent that I am PO'ed about... TRESPASSING... only they did it to the wrong guy! Yeah, I know the odds of tracking em' down isn't very good, but I have been successful at this in the past aiding a friend (a P.hD) who lost $100,000 Euros to a colleague through a Delaware Corporation, funding through an Isle of Malta Bank. And I was told then I'd never get aid from the Maltese Bank, which I did obtain; and, further that I'd never 'pierce the veil' of a Delaware Corporation, well it took over a year but we got em' identified; and, now the Prosecutors Office in Sofia, Bulgaria, is about to file arrest warrants against these criminals. So, as you see... these guys are no longer laughing!!! My intent is to bring to bare my wrath on the bast**ds that are behind "Windows Critical Scanner"... with a bit of luck they'll consider me the 'Black Cat' that crossed their path and mouthed-out "You're f**k'ed!"

Regards Netherlands. . .
Curt

-END-

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

If you paid with a credit card, you can seek reimbursement from the CC company.

If you paid cash, kiss your money goodbye and put it down to experience because these scammers tend to be located in countries like the Ukraine and Russia and even if you were to spend 100 times the money you lost tracking them down, they can still hide behind corrupt officials who'll just laugh at your futile attempts to expose them. If you persist in your endeavour, you'll only make yourself miserable and my advice it to forget about it and get on with your life.

From a pragmatic view point this is probably right.
I understand the OP's point however.
Unless true cash is sent to these criminals the funds would need to be wired through banks.
Banks know where the money is transferred to.All it would take would be for a government to have the political will ( backbone?)to trace the money trail. Any bank in any country that refused legitimate actions to catch these criminals should be barred from international fund transfers. Without a method to get the money in their pocket the scammers would be out of business quickly.

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

In the grand sceme of things, this issue is minor in Law Enforcements view. You paid no money, you have no loss. I understand where you are coming from and how you feel, but you are spinning your wheels...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 BallyZACA

BallyZACA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

... granted, I may be spinning my wheels... but, if everyone accepts the actions of ANY criminal activity to be perpetrated, that means if they ask for your watch, car keys, or walk in your front door (all, forms of trespassing) then criminals are encouraged and embolden to do whatever they wish, and the victims are subservient to oblige! Accepting law enforcement is overworked, and they decide what is important; and, the Courts, along with Judges and Jury's should just ignore their crimes? Sorry, but this is unacceptable to me (and many other)... the end result will be that I will track them down, thereafter, will decide how I will proceed, but justice will be done, one way or another!!!

Curt

-END-

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

. . . and how exactly do you plan to make this happen?

Don't get me wrong. . . I admire your enthusiasm. But there is a big difference between talking about this and actually putting a plan into action . . . especially in the theatre you're entering into.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#8 BallyZACA

BallyZACA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Well, the best answer I can give you "IS"... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it! Fortunately, I have access to ALL the legal help I need incl. international firms; and, of course once I can identify "WHOIS" these individuals are, most likely, they're on somebody's want list, or possibly an outstanding warrant for their arrest is SOME country. Don't expect I'll find em' in the USA, most likely, Eastern Europe! And, of course, there is always INTERPOL, where I can expect help depending on other crimes committed by these criminals.

My mistake was that I opened the e-mail and became infected immediately; their mistake, is they made an enemy of the wrong person and I won't rest until I have identified and run them against ALL databases where their past criminality exists. Other than that, well, I'll just wing-it, as I go!

Curt

-END-

#9 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Well I for one would be interested in how this plays out, just be careful you don't get in over your head. There's some bad people out there.
Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

#10 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Don't misunderstand what I was saying. I wish you well in your quest, as do all here. But there are huge resources trying to find those that spread virus/ malware. One person looking for direction from an online help forum is unlikley to make a dent in the issue. Bravo for your efforts tho...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#11 BallyZACA

BallyZACA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

ATTN: BleepingCom Techs. . .

Thanks ALL for your interest and support in this endeavor. If, someone would PLEASE do me a favor and delete XXXXXX my last name, from any postings and/or e-mails I made on BleepingComputer webpages, so as, to secure my identity. Thx!

Also, be advised that the ONLY place these criminals could have come-up with my cousins name (Subj: of e-mail w/hot-link inside) was through website called www.CarePages.com, as my cousins daughter was dying at the time from cancer and has since passed away. Our communication was entirely through this website. Regrettably, I clicked to open the e-mail, as I was expecting a booklet from CarePages of ALL the posting and well-wishers that posted at the site, expecting to receive this register as promised by the deceased husband, apparently, part of the services offered to the administrator of the ill persons webpages.

Appears there may be a connection to Eastern Europe in an incident that occurred a week ago today, wherein, an attack of Utah's Medicaid Program was hacked, as reported by Reuters News Agency. Apparently, these criminals are into cyber-raiding medical materials and related topics!

EASTERN EUROPEAN HACKERS SUSPECTED OF MEDICAID CYBER RAID: US authorities believe Eastern European hackers are responsible for a cyber attack on the Utah Health Department (UHD) that exposed 24,000 Medicaid files.

The intrusion reportedly occurred on Friday, with the hackers targeting UHD's Medicaid claims files. The information contained in the claims included individuals' names, bank account details and social security numbers. According to Reuters, the intrusion is believed to have affected the claims of at least nine per cent of the 260,000 Utah Medicaid clients - though the exact number of those affected is unknown, with some claims containing information on multiple people. "At this point, efforts are focused on determining the number and identity of individual clients who may have had their information compromised during the breach," Utah's Health and Technology Services departments told Reuters.

Suspicion fell on Eastern Europe after members of the state's Technology Services department traced a number of suspicious IP addresses to a number of countries in the region.

-END-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users