Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp pavillion with Windows media centre

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oddnumber

Oddnumber

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

Hi

I hve a HP pavillion desktop with media centre installed on it,2 days back i tried to recover my infected system via recovery CD(OEM Windows,HP manufactured) but GOT a FATAL error..

than i plugged out my HDD and formatted the drive..now i am try to install new XP windows on it but i am getting "MASTER BOOT DEVICE ERROR".

THINGS I HAVE DONE SO FAR....

1. changed boot sequence to bootable CD...didnt worked again "Master Boot record error"

2. tried another HDD.. same error

3. New ram .... No use at all

4. tried another CD Drive.. nothing happed as well

now is my bios chip is killed... Pls help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

If HP used a hidden partition to store the files for restoring to factory defaults...and you formatted, thus deleting those files...I don't see how you will be able to reinstall MCE without those files.

What model HP system is this?

Louis

#3 Oddnumber

Oddnumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

model no: a1516in

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

From http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07145&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3254418 :

"NOTE:HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. The use of a separate partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched. A system recovery from the hard drive may not be possible in some circumstances. Your computer may contain Recovery Disc Creation software. Recovery discs for Windows XP are available from HP for a minimal cost. See Obtaining Recovery Discs for ordering information."

System Specs

Worth Reading

Louis

#5 Oddnumber

Oddnumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

thnx louis for ur quick replies..!!

acually i have updated d bios... installed a different OS on it...a retail version...system is running fine...

so now i want my media center windows back on it..i have the cd's which HP sent me for recovery, so is it possible to get my Original Windows media center back on it using them..??

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I can't tell you anything about HP systems and recovery disks...that the HP website cannot do better.

As for what may work with a computer...I find that the experimental approach (try it and see what happens) is my favorite technique for resolving such questions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users