Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot activate Windows Firewall, Defender, etc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Caradyran

Caradyran

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

Good evening. My computer does not appear to be obviously infected in any way, but something doesn't feel right. I googled around a bit and think I might have gotten a rootkit on my laptop. I'm a senior in college, so I only use it for schoolwork with the occasional bits of gaming.

My operating system is Windows 7, 64-bit.

- Have a system64 folder in my c:\windows in addition to SysWow64. Don't think it should be there.
- Cannot activate Windows Firewall. It says Windows Firewall can't change some of my settings. Error code 0x800704c.
- Cannot activate Windows defender.
- Windows security center cannot be turned on.

However...
- My antivirus program, Prevx, tells me that my system is infected on a random basis. However, when I scan with it, it catches nothing.
- MBAM finds nothing.
- I tried the TDSSFix tool, because that's what other forums have suggested. It reads: Suspicious use of kernel callback but MBR appears intact. Repair not done. No infections were found.
- Security Essentials does work, but it also doesn't find anything.

... Please help. Final exams are coming up, and I'd really like the peace of mind to know my box won't crash on me the next second.

Edited by Caradyran, 17 April 2012 - 12:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

You're infected by zero access rootkit.fixtdss or tdsskiller will not be helpful in 64 bit systems.

We need advanced tools

Read the guide here on preparing logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

and create a topic here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

Good luck

Edited by narenxp, 17 April 2012 - 12:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users