Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From Ethernet to Wireless to Ethernet Again

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geogian

Geogian

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

My problem is that I have been having problems with internet speeds. I've done speedtests, and sometimes they are 16Mbps and sometimes they are 0.5Mbps. I use the site SpeedTest.net. I have done pings to my default gateway, and to other computers. They pings range from 1-2ms to 300ms to 1500ms to timed out. It appears to be completely random.

So here is my current setup:
I have charter internet and I'm set up for about 15Mbps internet. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router connected to it, and a Dell Dimension 3000 hooked up to that. The Dell has no problems at all, and it's internet speeds are consistently around 16Mbps. I have in my room a Linksys E-1000 wireless router with custom firmware on it. (DD-WRT v24-sp2) I have it set to bridge the wireless signal of the linksys router. That works, but I don't know if it's working well. The two routers are a floor apart, and 20 feet, so figure around 25 feet apart. I have a custom built machine with an i7 processor that is connected to the E-1000 via a cat5e ethernet cable. I have a second custom built computer in my room with an Atom processor that's just being used as a server. It is connected via wireless USB dongle, and is not experiencing any problems. If I ping the Atom computer from the i7 computer, it get 1ms pings. All computers are in the same network, and no static IP addresses are set.

The problem started happening when I built the second computer and gave it the wireless dongle. Before that, the wireless dongle was in the i7 desktop, and not connected via ethernet.

I have tried from my i7, forcing 100Mbps full duplex, and forcing 10Mbps half duplex. I have done virus scans, Ccleaner, chkdsk, updating drivers, SFC /scannow. I have found that, for whatever reason, restarting my desktop seems to help temporarily. Running an ethernet cord between the routers is not an option as the person from whom I am renting feels it is a trip hazard, and buying a second USB dongle is possible if I could afford it. I was suggested to put the bridge on a different SSID in order to keep the two traffics seperate, but I've no idea how to do that.

I'm sorry this is so much information, but I wanted to make sure you had as much information as possible. So basically, I want the pings to stay consistent, and my internet speed to stay consistent. If that's not possible, I'd like to know why this is even happening. I'm a networking student and would like to learn about this problem.

Attatched is the suggested log from MiniToolBox:
Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

You might be better off posting your question on the dedicated Linksys forums They're more likely to be familiar with their own products.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

How are the routers configured? Please list
1. Security encryption type
2. Network address and the router local ip address (for security you can omit your primary router's local address)
3. Dhcp enabled/disabled
4. Ssid
5. Wireless mode (802.11 a/b/g/n/mixed) (I am assuming G/mixed since the wrt54 is g only)
6. Type of internet (cable, dsl, t1)
7. Whether you have Static/dynamic ip address from your isp
8. Dns, default gateway, subnet mask for the second router local address.
9. What is connected to each router and how (wireless/Ethernet) and what port number for Ethernet
The wrt54g is connected to the modem as the primary router?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 April 2012 - 04:15 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Geogian,

I'm going to recap your setup in my own words to see if I'm reading this correctly. You have an internet modem connected to a wireless router (router 1) and one computer connected to that (Comp 1). In a different part of the house you have (router 2) attaching to router 1's wireless and giving access to two computers (comp2) via cable to router 2 and comp 3 via wireless, and are having problems with comp2 getting slow internet connectivity but comp 1 and 3 are working fine. (hopefully yhis is correct.)

Here is what may be happening. My understanding of bridge mode means that router 2 will be connecting as a client to router 1 and not providing wireless access itself. Your Atom may be connecting to the wireless of router 1. Your comp 2 with the intermittent problem may be due to the config of router 2. Things I would check.

On router 2 make sure the wireless channel is set to the same channel as router 1.
SSID, encryption type, etc should match router 1. Temporarily turning off wireless security could help in troubleshooting, however not recommended to leave it off.
Router 2 should have a wan address assigned in the 192.168.1.0 subnet.
Router 2 should be given a different subnet on the lan side ex: 192.168.10.1
DHCP should be turned on on router 2 also.

Your comp2 should then get a 192.168.10.xxx address after a reboot. Try that. Also, if you reboot the ATOM and it gets a 192.168.1.xxx address, you know it is not accessing router 2.

Good Luck!
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users