Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a new graphics card on a Lenovo ThinkCentre

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fexcad

Fexcad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

I recently received a refurbished ThinkCentre as a gift. It runs fairly well with 3gb of RAM. My cpu is currently Intel Core2 Duo CPI E8400 @ 3.00GHz. However I need to upgrade my graphics card because atm it's not good enough to handle an MMO I'm going to play, called TERA. The recommended graphics card is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000.

My question is, can I purchased the Athlon card, install it easily, and have it be compatible with the Intel one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 is a CPU, not a graphics card.

You should be fine with keeping your Core2 CPU. Without seeing the exact model ThinkCentre you have, you most likely have a PCI-Express slot for a nice video card.

You can go with ATI or NVidia for your graphics card.. which you choose is up to you.

Installation is pretty easy. You install the card in the slot, then install the drivers from the manufacturer's website. Then you game. :)

Edited by kisk, 17 April 2012 - 12:46 AM.

Posted Image

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Note that you will most likely need to upgrade your power supply.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users