Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB2656369 installed but still showing to install on Microsoft Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skoop

skoop

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Running Windows XP service pack 3
Went to Microsoft Update. Critical Update showing " Security update for Microsoft.Net framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Serve 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2656369)
Downloaded and installed. I restarted the Computer. Add and remove programs showed KB2656369 installed. Next time going to Microsoft Updates KB2656369 shows ready to install. Installed again. Is always showing as ready for install on Microsoft Updates. Went to Microsoft support and downloaded full install of KB2656369 to my desktop. Installed from there. Program indicated installed okay. Still Microsoft Updates show that I need to install this update. Install not being recognized by Microsoft Updates.
Any suggestions and help on the problem please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

i will assume you rebooted the computer since the update ,and only thing i have to add to that is ,its installed ,so don't worry about it showing in updates ,it will likely eventually go away ,in my opinion

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Go > M/soft updates > Left side > Review Update History > Scroll down the first page and you should see -
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2656369) O< Green tick in circle << MINEThis means it installed.
If it shows a Red OX << cross in the circle. it means it failed -

#4 skoop

skoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Caperjac:
I did reboot after the install. It shows as installed in the Add and Remove Programs

Noknojon:
The history on the Microsoft download site has a green checkmark showing that the program is installed.

I'm sure Micros_ _ t will eventually fix the problem. Reading and searching for more info on other sites shows that I am not the only one having this happen. Did find one suggestion. Remove all the .net using the dotnetfix cleanup tool and then reinstall all of the Netframework versions the you require. Will do this only as a last resort.Will keep looking.
Thanks

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

The history on the Microsoft download site has a green checkmark showing that the program is installed.
I did reboot after the install. It shows as installed in the Add and Remove Programs

Ignore any further problems with this KB ....... as it is installed - M/$oft muck-up - Just use the green checkmarks as a guide -

Only use the full .NET Removal Tool if there are problems showing updates are not installed, it removes a lot of updates, and you need to reinstall them again -
Been there - Done that -

Regards -

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

That's not true. In many cases, versions of .NET Framework are orphans after uninstalling the program that required it. So if the various versions of .NET Framework were uninstalled, it is not necessary to reinstall them.

#7 Dave1949

Dave1949

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

I had the same problem, starting with KB2604092 and then two more popped up with the same problem, KB2656369 and KB2686828, all three stubbornly refusing to install, even though the dialogue box said they had, only to be offered them time and time again, via the update shield. Very annoying. For those that may still be experiencing the same, I was pointed to the following, to be run from a command prompt, which came up as a service pack for .NET2:

msiexec /i {C09FB3CD-3D0C-3F2D-899A-6A1D67F2073F} ADDLOCAL=ALL /l*v %temp%epairLog.txt

For those who aren't familiar, go to start, run. Type "cmd" (without quotes). Hit "Enter" or click on "OK". The above can be copied and right-click pasted into the command window. For info; keyboard paste short-cut Ctrl+V does not work in this case, if you normally use that.

I let the process run and then tried an update install again, via the shield, and so far it hasn't re-appeared. I will keep you posted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users