Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bad HD and steps to take after?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 KWeb

KWeb

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Ok so it's 100% known my HD is bad in my Acer 5552-7819 laptop. It was dropped on the floor and received the "disk read error" during start up. After a tech coming over to confirm the bad HD and giving me a quote that exceeds the price of a brand new laptop alike, I decided to opt out and tackle this issue myself. I found one on newegg for around $70 with the same exact specs as the broken one currently in the laptop. (maybe I'll go from 320GB to 500GB).

Now here's where I need help. I don't think it came with a recovery disk or maybe I lost it, I don't know. I know I need it or maybe ACER has a website to download it from? Will I have to buy another windows OS disk? Basically I'm needing the steps to take after installing the new HD. Also, I appreciate any advice or opinions from you guys. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hi

In your case it sounds like you need to get recovery CD's from Acer. Get your serial number and go here for more information...
http://us-store.acer.com/rcd/

James

#3 KWeb

KWeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Ok great! Thank you for the step in the right direction.

#4 KWeb

KWeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

So now my next question is how I can get windows 7 back? Do I have to purchase a new one?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hi

Are the recovery disks for an operating system other than Windows 7? If so, how did you get Windows 7 before?

James

#6 KWeb

KWeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi

Are the recovery disks for an operating system other than Windows 7? If so, how did you get Windows 7 before?

James

I don't have the recovery disks. I don't know if I lost them or never came with it. The laptop came with windows 7.

#7 KWeb

KWeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Update: just purchased a seagate 500gb HD off newegg. I took out the HD which was a very simple task with a youtube video. I cant believe I thought about paying someone to do this.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hi James, KWeb

Ok, If the laptop came with windows 7 then the recovery discs you order for it will be windows 7. I'll bet that if you look on the bottom of the laptop you'll see a Windows 7 Home premium COA (License).

When you bought that Laptop it came with Acer eRecovery to create the recovery disk set on DVDs. If you didn't do that you will have to pay for them.

Use the link James so kindly provided.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 KWeb

KWeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hi James, KWeb

Ok, If the laptop came with windows 7 then the recovery discs you order for it will be windows 7. I'll bet that if you look on the bottom of the laptop you'll see a Windows 7 Home premium COA (License).

When you bought that Laptop it came with Acer eRecovery to create the recovery disk set on DVDs. If you didn't do that you will have to pay for them.

Use the link James so kindly provided.

Good Luck
Roger

YES!! Thats good news I dont have to fork over $100 for windows 7. Yes I did see that windows sticker on the bottom when taking out the bad HD. So basically the only thing I need to order is the recovery disk and put that in after the new HD is installed? Thank you for your time and valuable information guys.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

The recovery discs will install the windows and bundled software so that the laptop will be running the exact same software as when you bought it.

Cheers

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 KWeb

KWeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Great so I have to delete all the bloatware again. I'm just excited to get my computer up and running again.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hi
Still better than buying Windows again when you have a valid COA (License).
Plus one persons junk is another's treasure. You might not like the bundled Acer games for example and someone else might love them.

Still cheaper too.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 KWeb

KWeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Don't get me wrong I'm ok with the bloatware as it's easy to delete. There's just A LOT of it.

#14 KWeb

KWeb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

So now I have another problem... Used the recovery disks and everything was going fine until the "Software Installation" box came up and now it gets stuck on installing 11/23 which is the LITE-ON camera or something. It's not allowing me to skip it or anything. ughhhh I'm about to give up.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Try doing alt + tab, there may be a dialog box you need to click hidden behind something else.

I have seen that happen.
The other option is if this is the last disk of the set? Maybe windows itself and drivers are setup and it is only some of the bundled software failing to install.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users