Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection problems: about:blank and can't find

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bikenhike

bikenhike

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

hi everyone. I just joined today so I apologize if I'm doing this wrong. After googling a bunch, I found somewhere that said to run a hijack this log and a startdrek log and post to one of the forums. Can someone please let me know if that's possible and where I should post so I don't screw anything up on your site? I have both logs but don't want to post them until I know the proper procedure. Can someone please advise? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hello,

Please describe your computer problems more fully so we can begin to assist you. We rarely use HijackThis, and I've not heard of the other one you mention.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 bikenhike

bikenhike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

hi OB,
thanks for the quick reply. The problem I'm having is when I boot the computer, I can open a browser and it heads to my home page just fine. If I close the browswer, sometimes I can get back to the net, and sometimes it says about:blank or the error where it "can't find the page you were looking for, try later". once that happens I have to actually reboot before I can get back to the net. My signal isnt' the problem as it always says I have full signal and excellent connection. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Which browser are you using? Does this happen with all browsers or just one?

When it says "about:blank", what do you see in the browser?

How do you connect to the internet? I have on occasion had problems with my internet connection (DSL) even though the connection says it's connected properly etc. I then right-click on the connection icon and choose "repair the connection". Note that I use Windows XP, so the method for doing that may differ for you.

p.s. I'm editing your topic title to: "Internet connection problems: about:blank and can't find" to more accurately describe your topic.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 bikenhike

bikenhike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

I've been trying to recreate and haven't yet, as I ran malware this afternoon and it found a bunch of stuff. As soon as it happens again (shouldn't be long) I will post the errors. I can't remember what google chrome was saying but it's a world famous google error as there were a bazillion hits on it on the web. After reading forum after forum though, I couldnt get it to fix. Unfortunately I didn't write down the error. I also use IE and that error just comes up the standard "internet explorer cannot display the webpage". And then the hot button to "diagnose connection problems" (which if you've ever gone down that microsoft road, that is a bit of time out of your life you'll never get back)

With regard to the connection, I use Verizon FIOS fiber optic. As soon as the Chrome error pops again, I will write it down and send it. Thanks again for your help!

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Sorry to add this bit, but it may be of interest to younger Malware Trainees etc -
Just a FYI - Orange Blossom :cherry: >>"We rarely use HijackThis, and I've not heard of the other one you mention"<<
Most StarDrek logs were posted in 2004 to 2007 - Could be like Deckard's System Scanner (formally Comboscan) now removed -
http://forums.techguy.org/2178118-post36.html
""Also, download and unzip "startdrek". Run it and select "config", put a check in "shellobjectdelay", then run the scan and post the log.
It should show what the registry location is actually pointing to.""
http://www.niksoft.at/_data/startdreck.zip << {Now a Dead Link} At least for me -

EDIT -
about:blank is generally considered Malware and has several listings in SystemLookUp -

Edited by noknojon, 16 April 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

There is also a legit. about:blank which is why I asked for clarification of what was seen.

as I ran malware this afternoon and it found a bunch of stuff

I assume you meant MBAM (Malwarebytes AntiMalware? If so, can you please post the log it created? You can find it by clicking on the logs tab of the program then choosing the log with the time and date of the scan.

Given what you've stated in your last post, I'm moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum from the Windows 7 forum.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 16 April 2012 - 11:26 PM.
Added phrase to last sentence. ~ OB

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 bikenhike

bikenhike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

OB
just got down to my office again and tried to get onto the net. Chrome has it's standard "good morning" for me. Error 104 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_FAILED): The attempt to connect to the server failed.

Yes I do have the log from MBAM. I will post shortly (as soon as I reboot my computer and can get back on).
thanks

#9 bikenhike

bikenhike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

Here is the MBAM log. I also have the hijackthis log and the stardrek log if that will help. Thanks!

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.61.0.1400
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.04.16.04

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
ko41283 :: L6GQSGH1 [administrator]

4/16/2012 2:24:31 PM
mbam-log-2012-04-16 (14-24-31).txt

Scan type: Full scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 412662
Time elapsed: 43 minute(s), 30 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run|b22oonF4pmH5WJd (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: C:\Documents and Settings\ko41283\Application Data\svhostu.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 13
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP578\A0148930.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP579\A0149025.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP579\A0149048.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP579\A0149060.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP581\A0149112.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP583\A0149224.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP583\A0149247.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP583\A0150247.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP583\A0151247.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP583\A0152247.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP583\A0152260.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{0A1E14DB-358A-40C2-82AC-1AC2C2690F98}\RP583\A0152263.sys (Rootkit.0Access) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\ko41283\Application Data\ldr.ini (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hello,

Most of what MBAM found was in System Restore. Given what it found, I know you ran something prior to running MBAM, something that removed files. Can you please tell me what it was that you ran?

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#11 bikenhike

bikenhike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

yes, I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. those were the 12 or so files that I said it removed. So I guess it was nothing important it found as it's still doing the same thing.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hello,

There was something besides MBAM that you ran. Regardless, I think it's time for a deeper look at your machine beyond what we can do in the Am I Infected forum.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them. Please include the names of all the scans you have run since these problems began. Other than the DDS and GMER logs, do not post logs unless you are asked for them

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users