Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvds not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 liam142

liam142

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

hi

my dvd drive will not play dvds or cds and will not even recognize them in the drive.
i have reinstalled the drivers but it didn't help and it says on properties tab that this device is working properly.
my laptop is an asus a54c and only 4 months old.

my dvdrw properties are
slimtype dvd a ds8a8sh dvd/cd-rom drives

location 1
this device is working properly

ST320LT020-9YG142 disc drives

location 0 (is that location right?? i ran diskmgmt.msc and dvd drive was not there should it be??? my dvd rw drive e still appears
on the my computer screen)

i really don't know much about computers so any help would be appreciated

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

The DVD should show up in the disk management window but only in the bottom portion of the window. It will usually call it a CD-ROM but says DVD right under it. First make sure the DVD didn't actually get accidentally disconnected. Usually on newer laptops the dvd drive can be ejected from the laptop by pushing a small slide button on the bottom of the laptop. It should be labeled. Turn off the laptop and remove the drive by sliding the switch and pulling out gently on the drive. Use some air to gently blow off the dust and reinsert it. It should slide in easily and you should feel and hear a distinct "click" once it is seated.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Does the DVD power on light flash when you insert a DVD?

Is the Region Code set correctly in Device Manager? To get to Device Manager, click the Start button and then in the Search field, type: devmgmt.msc and then click the link to open Device Manager. Right click the DVD/CDROM drive, choose "Properties" and then click the "DVD Region" tab. You'll get a list of countries to choose from which will set the correct Region Code. Be aware that you can only change the Region Code a maximum five times. After that, it'll become set in stone and you won't be able to change it.

Is the DVD/CD you're trying to play compatible with your Region Code? For example, if you live in the UK, you can't play a DVD which was purchased in the USA because the region code isn't the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users