Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can I transfer windows 7 to another computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 john11139

john11139

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

My older computer is bad and quit working. Repairman says it is not worth repareing. It has windows 7 on it and I have the windows 7 disc and the coa# number off the old computer. I have a newer computer, with windows xp on it. Can I call Microsoft and give them the serial # of my old computer and have it voided and use the same coa# and install it on my newer computer.?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

My older computer is bad and quit working. Repairman says it is not worth repareing. It has windows 7 on it and I have the windows 7 disc and the coa# number off the old computer. I have a newer computer, with windows xp on it. Can I call Microsoft and give them the serial # of my old computer and have it voided and use the same coa# and install it on my newer computer.?

You can only install Windows 7 on the new PC if it's a full retail version. If the installation disc came with the old PC, then it's probably an OEM version which means it's tied to that particular machine and cannot be moved to another one.

#3 john11139

john11139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

My old computer had the full version on it. It was upgraded from windows XP. Does that mean it could be installed on the newer computer?

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

My old computer had the full version on it. It was upgraded from windows XP. Does that mean it could be installed on the newer computer?

No, because you don't have an installation disc, only an upgrade key.

#5 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

@john11139

Acronis True Image Home can recover a disk backup to a different disk if you legally own the software.

Reinstall win7 on the old computer and make a backup with Acronis afterwards. Using the backup, you can recover it to a new disk.

But considering Win7 usually has the hidden System Reserved partition and bootup loader is from that reserved partition, you should be very cautious if you like to proceed.

Go to page 80 (4.5 Recovering a disk backup to a different disk under rescue media) from the ATIH2012_userguide. Hope that helps. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users