Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway laptop CPU fan problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blufx

Blufx

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I was asked to replace the CPU fan on a Gateway MA7 model ML6703. It's a simple job on this laptop, but after I did, I found what the problem really was. When the power button is pressed, the fan spins up good, but after a few seconds, it shuts off and will not come back on resulting in eventually overheating. I found a discussion on another page that suggested the fan sensor didn't like the voltage supplied. Their idea of fixing it was replace the motherboard. I'm trying to save the lady some money so that's not an option at this point. I'm hoping I can somehow by-pass the sensor or even straight wire the fan. The fan is a 4 wire. Yellow, black, white, and red. They're no controls in the bios for the fan. I did reset the defaults in the bios and updated the bios with no change. Anybody got some ideas on this?

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hi

Did you replace it with the exact same part# fan (I think that one probably only comes with the heatsink included and not just the fan alone)?
This usually seems to be an issue when a different fan is used than the official OEM fan :(

The sledgehammer fix that I have seen in the past was to use the power from one of the USB ports but that made the USB port unavailable to the user and the fan ran 100% of the time.

James

#3 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

The replacement was an exact match. But the new fan and the old one did the same thing. I just kept experimenting with the connectors until found the controller.and left it unplugged. The white wire between the red and black is the controller. The fan runs full speed all the time now, the way they did in the old days. It don't make too much noise. I think she can live with that better that the cost of a new mobo.

Thanks for the reply.
Problem solved!!!

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

#4 ebnub

ebnub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

The replacement was an exact match. But the new fan and the old one did the same thing. I just kept experimenting with the connectors until found the controller.and left it unplugged. The white wire between the red and black is the controller. The fan runs full speed all the time now, the way they did in the old days. It don't make too much noise. I think she can live with that better that the cost of a new mobo.

Thanks for the reply.
Problem solved!!!

Really old bump, sorry.  I just want to thank the op for sharing the find on this one.  I snipped the white fan wire on this old cranky Gateway and all is well now.  The sound of a fan spinning constantly is a lot better than an overheating laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users