Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Smart

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Magicman42

Magicman42

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Yesterday morning my computer became infected with the Smart HDD virus. I began my restoral by downloading the Malware bytes software and your Unhide EXE file. I ran both and most of my data returned. I then ran a global restore using the following prompt attrib.exe -s -h -r [home_drive]:\*.* /s /d and all of my data files have been restored however many of the following problems still occur:

1. Many of my programs are still hidden.MS Office, Ssytem tools, accessories, ext ext . Most of them actually.
2. If I try to open my network places directory and expand the adress bar that window freezes up.
3. I am unable to get an internet connection. Or see a wirless connection in teh start up bar.
4. If I try to open up my C: drive so I can access my program files to do a manual launch the window freezes up.
5. I also did a windows system restore which finally executed out of safe mode couldnt do it normal mode and the above problems still exsist.
6. Yes, I can boot into safe mode. Its the only way I have been able to download software and access the internet.

I would rather not have to do a sytem reset but it feels like that may be my only option. You help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

----------------------------------------------

Can you tell me which operating system you are running.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 Magicman42

Magicman42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.

• Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

----------------------------------------------

Can you tell me which operating system you are running.

Hello Mole! I am here. Thank you for responding. I am using Windows XP.

#4 Magicman42

Magicman42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

I am using Windows XP and have not touched my laptop since my origial post....

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Let's see if we can get some information via safe mode. Where it says to download to the desktop just download the tool on a clean machine and transfer the tool via a known clean flashdrive.

Run the following

• Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.

• Extract its contents to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the desktop.

• Go to Start > Run (Or you can hold down your Windows key and press R) and copy and paste the following into the text field. (make sure you include the quote marks) Then press OK.

"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l report.txt

• Now click Start Scan.
  • If Malicious objects are found, ensure Cure is selected then click Continue > Reboot now.
  • Click Close
  • Finally press Report and copy and paste the contents into your next reply. If you've rebooted then the log will be found at C:\

Then

Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

Posted Image

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hi,

I have not had a reply from you for 5 days. Can you please tell me if you still need help with your computer as I am unable to help other members with their problems while I have your topic still open. The time taken between posts can also change the situation with your PC making it more difficult to help you.

If you like you can PM me.

Thanks,

m0le
Posted Image

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users