Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Boooting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dpk

dpk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:54 AM

I have a sony vaio VGN-B3XP laptop,1.8,512MB xp Proffesional,well everything was perfect till yesterday when it started to take a lot of time to boot up.Actually the boot process is normal but it takes about 3.5 minutes for the desktop icons and taskbar to come up on the screen.I have tried to resolve the issue by removing files/icons frm desktop and by defragmenting but it didnt help.I also tried to uncheck any programs(taskmanager) which might be running in background but couldnt find any.Please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:17 AM

Have you installed any software of late? Do you have antivirus and antispyware software installed and running? Is it current?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

Also, try clicking the start button then click on run

then type in the run box

msconfig

press enter

Go to the start up tab and make sure everything that appears is as you would expect (printers, anti-virus, ms office etc. etc.) You may see some entries that are blatant malware. Uncheck such entries then restart. Keep unchecking suspect programs until you have isolated all unwanted programs. This is a step I take to ensure no baddies are being loaded that slow performance. If all looks well then that is a good sign of course. You will be asked to restart to make the changes effective. When you restart you may get some error messages from the programs that you disabled, but if the programs are malevolent you will get some idea of which ones are causing the probs.

If these programs are undesirable, have your anti-malware remove them if possible...Lavasoft's Adaware is pretty good.

I hope this helps. If not there are other deeper, more technical methods of troubleshooting which are best left to more experienced souls on this site. The people on here are very very smart so no worries..your PC will be back to normal in no time.

Darren

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

There's a small freeware ap available called Startup Inspector to configure startup programs.

Easier to use than MSCONFIG.

http://www.windowsstartup.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users