Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Infection - Need help diagnosing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ricketscientistne

ricketscientistne

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have a Dell studio XPS running Windows 7 Pro which as of this morning has started behaving very oddly. I suspect an infection but have not been able to locate it. The symptoms appeared in teh following order:

1.) McAfee real-time scanning shut off and could not be re-activated.
2.) My attempts to use Avast boot-time scanning did not work; the boot time scan would not initiate. That's never happened before.
3.) I received one pop up window from Avast claiming that another program was trying to shut it off. Unfortunately I did not get the information in the window. copied down.

Now my computer will not boot in anything but safe mode. I am making this post via a work computer.

I was able to run Malwarebytes in safe mode and nothing was found. Avast no longer seems to work at all. I am currently running a full scan with McAfee.

This progression sure looks like a virus, but nothing has identified it yet. Are there any tools here that may be able to help?

Thanks you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Are you running two AV programs?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 ricketscientistne

ricketscientistne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yes I am. I am running Avast (free version) and McAfee.

#4 ricketscientistne

ricketscientistne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I should also point out that my McAfee scans ansl did not find anything on the computer.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

You can't be running two AV programs.
Uninstall one of them.
If McAfee use this tool to uninstall it: http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

When done update me on computer behavior.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 ricketscientistne

ricketscientistne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

I uninstalled Avast, since it was the one I installed most recently (to make use of the boot-time scan capability). The computer has booted up properly and the McAfee program now appears to be running normally.

I'll re-scan the drives; however is there anything else I should do to verify that the computer is clean? The behavior I saw was unnerving.

Thank you.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

I think you just created a conflict by running two AV programs.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users