Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible when you save it a picture from a website, can that file send a virus/spyware to your computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsis

Doomsis

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Every time I save a something to the computer, a separate file is created that my computer can't recognize or open so i delete it and download again. I;m dumb at computers so please disregard how stupid i am. My java is updated and everything. I recently made a file and it made a separate file but had symbols at the beginning then the ending of the file name showed. Is that normal? Last time i saved a word document to my desktop, it made a clone file, I opened the file and it caused problems to my computer. Files keep appearing on my screen. Could it be a person because my Comodo didn't track anything. I even save pictures from unsafe sites. For example, I really like this person's artwork, but their blog/website shows pictures that expose their body more like partial nudity, but the picture i'm searching for is normal, but the person has the perfect picture and its not perverted. I like to browse sites that have the perfect picture even though the blogger displays inappropriate stuff like expose what that person likes cuz its their blog. I couldn't find a better picture than those types of websites. When I used to download ROMs for Super Nintendo I had to vote a hentai site to get the ROMs and it was the only place they had the game available. Like Magical Drop 2 back then. This other website i visited was devianart and it blocked a virus that attacked my computer. I'm a bit confused why it would do that when that site is considered safe.

Edited by Doomsis, 15 April 2012 - 07:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

This quote is from Wikipedia - Re: deviantART -

As of August 2010 the site consists of over 14.5 million members, and over 100 million submissions, and receives around 140,000 submissions per day.

Any site with 14 to 15 million visitors + over 140,000 pictures submitted daily, has every chance of carrying infections -

I would want a very good Antivirus + Firewall and Malware removers just to visit this site -
It only takes one bad person to infect a large site like this -

(Just my opinion)

Edited by noknojon, 15 April 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Deviant Art is a legit site. I have downloaded several wallpapers there and never had a problem. However, it is possible to catch a virus from any site if the ads carry infections. You have to be very careful especially if the search terms are as random as yours seem to be. One thing I use is the Google preview to see what is actually on the website. My search terms aren't ransom. I'm usually looking for something specific. But I now have almost 5,000 wallpapers so I know which sites are legit.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

If you're using Firefox, install this Add-on: VTZilla

Then, before you download an image, right click it and choose "Scan with VTZilla" to check it for malware before you download it.

VTZilla also adds a toolbar to Firefox which enables you to scan the site you're visiting for malware. Similarly, you can scan a link before you visit the site even.

If you haven't got Firefox, you can download it from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users