Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going downhill since Tuesday updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 finnime

finnime

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I'm sinking.

The updates distributed Tuesday to Windows 7 Home edition kicked off a restart, as they should.
Then IE started displaying "Page not found" for every web site.
Same result with Mozilla.
The computer (HP) shows itself as connected to our home LAN (wireless), but pinging from the router fails to the PC's IP address.

It won't restore to any prior dates; restore fails.

I booted into Safe mode with networking, and the Startup Repair did nothing. Now the PC will not boot normally, but only in Safe mode.

I can't download any helpful tools - because I can't get on the internet.

Where can I start to untangle this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

Hi, have you tried system restore?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/system-restore
MCP
MSDST

#3 finnime

finnime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Thanks - I have tried restoring to dates before Tuesday; at the end, the restore fails. If I have to, I can restore to factory original, but that's such a painful rebuild.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks - I have tried restoring to dates before Tuesday; at the end, the restore fails. If I have to, I can restore to factory original, but that's such a painful rebuild.

Reboot the machine and immediately after the BIOS logo disappears, hit F8 a few times to load the Windows Advanced menu. Then use the up/down arrow to select "Last Known Good Configuration" which will load an image of the operating system the last time it worked properly.

If that fails, use the System Repair disc you created to access the last backup you made and load that. Be aware though that the system will be restored to the date you created the backup. If that was some time ago, then you'll have to reinstall all your AV DAT files, security patches etc., together with any programs you installed since that time all over again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users