Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems after virus removal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dakthur

dakthur

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

2 weeks ago had to reformat all three computers because of difficult rootkit. two of the computers i posted logs on here to make sure all remnents were gone and they were except the hosts files were misplaced which was fixed. However my other desktop which is two years old which was running windows 7 ultimate service pack 1 before the virus was put back to Vista because of the restore. Last night I sat down and upgraded it to windows 7 and started to install the numerous updates I got a few errors that it couldn't find files but it continued to install and was restarted successfully. I checked for updates again and 5 came up including the service pack 1 update, ran them and they installed and asked for restart to finalize, the computer shut down and restarted and said it was configuring the service pack it stopped at 32% and sat there for awhile then I got blue screen that there was an error and windows was shutting down it then restarted and tried to configure again and just kept shutting down without getting the blue screen. tried starting in safe mode and got same thing. tried repair startup errors and found nothing so tried restoring to earlier point and got an error that it couldn't finish so used start at last known good configuration option and it loaded to the point right before i tried installing servicepack 1 so i shut off the automatic download and thats where i am now posting here wondering if like the hosts files on the other comps the virus may have messed up some files on this comp. please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Same computer?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic449329.html/page__p__2657755__fromsearch__1#entry2657755

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 dakthur

dakthur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

No not the same it's my second desktop that seemed to be running fine so didn't think twice about it till I reupgraded it and started updating.Should I run the same logs and scans on it as the others and post them?

Edited by dakthur, 14 April 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,680 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

Since you formatted hard drive I don't see it as some infection issue.
I suggest you try the whole procedure one more time.
It looks to me like botched installation.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 dakthur

dakthur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

what try redoing the windows upgrade and reinstalling all the updates fresh? Because when it was downloading the windows updates it was telling me that it couldn't find a file in a certain .dll file. , or should I do a complete windows 7 install and just redownload my lost installed programs after because not much has been installed since the restore.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,680 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

I guess you can try to reinstall just Windows 7.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 dakthur

dakthur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

The same virus from 2 weeks ago is back it spread thru the network now all 3 comps have a NTUSER.DAT file in the user folder and the system profiles folders that arent hidden and they update every minute. on this computer I checked the firewall activity and it said that one ofd my other computers tried to access this one with the service SSDP thru UDP port 1900. this comp is a laptop so its wireless conected and the desktop in my room is wired directly from the router but the computer that this post was about has a usb linksys wireless adapter to pick up our networks wireless signal. when I found the NTUSER.DAT files on one computer I went to the other two to run MBAM scans and when I clicked update it reinstalled it then updated and thats when the NTUSER.DAT files appeaered on the other two computers. please help I cant afford to reformat my computers again.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,680 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 dakthur

dakthur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

ok i will follow all the steps for each computer and post them there seperately. I will also do the steps on the computer that was having the install problem but when all is said and done i'm probably going to do fresh windows install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users