Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scam Program

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BallyZACA

BallyZACA

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi Everyone!

Being new to the website introducing myself as Curt, an American ex-Pat residing in Sweden. Do NOT click on the website below, as I have entered it as being the source of a scam program titled: Windows Critical Scanner. It was delivered via an e-mail being shown as coming from my cousin in the USA, but all that was shown in this e-mail was the website line below.

Being as my cousins daughter had recently died of cancer I didn't take necessary precautions being anxious to hear from her. BIG MISTAKE!

The program immediately disabled "Windows Security Essentials" leaving me to believe it was updating the program; and, didn't realize I'd been scammed until it demanded my Visa Card and $19.95, marked down from $29.95 (what a bargain)! The program then proceeded to disable MSE + my Browser, which now ONLY works in Safe Mode. And to make matters worst I deleted MSE from my HDD thinking it was somehow now associated with the valid "Microsoft Security Essentials" program, which I can NOT reinstall because it won't accept installation in Safe Mode! What a nightmare the last 4-hours has been. And can't find or locate the malware or Trojan even searching ALL hidden files on my HDD.

If, I could get my hands around the neck of these scamers, I'd squeeze until they quit kicking! Any help with this problem would be much appreciated. HELP!

Curt
Removed email to protect from spam bots harvesting such.

DO NOT CLICK ON THE FILE BELOW, UNLESS YOU'RE KNOWLEDGEABLE IN SECURITY MALWARE AND/OR TROJAN REMOVAL!!!

hXXp://broz.net/administrator/components/connect.php?wet176.html

MOD EDIT: broke dangerous malware link
Please do not post Hot links.

-END-

Edited by boopme, 14 April 2012 - 02:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Broke dangerous link

If you can run these then do do.We need a deeper look. Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.

If you cannot the just repost this topic in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Without the Hotlink.

Edited by boopme, 14 April 2012 - 02:43 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Layback

Layback

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Having the same problem with "Windows Critical Scanner". Began yesterday 4/14/2012 morning after I downloaded Google Earth. Need to get rid of it so I can finish my taxes. Program?, disabled Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Task List, Windows Shutdown, and IE7. What I've done so far:

Ran: CCleaner, RegCure, SpeedyComputer, didn't work, although Task List came up for a second and I noticed 9.0.0.1218 DMScannersetup.exe, and 9.0.0.1218 DMScannersetup.tmp were running. Stopped 9.0.0.1218 DMScannersetup.exe, but couldn't stop 9.0.0.1218 DMScannersetup.tmp. Then Task List was hijacked into "Windows Critical Scanner" task list.

Can get to the net through AOL, so:
Upgraded to IE8, didn't work.
Could not download MSE, because already had a copy, but is disabled.
I downloaded PC Tools Antivirus Free and ran through AOL and downloaded SuperSpyware and ran. Both worked, so I deleted MSE and reinstalled and ran. It worked.
Re-ran MSE, PC Tools antivirus, SuperSpyware, no problem. Had some spyware, but none that related to "Windows Critical Scanner"
Brought up Task List and noticed "9.0.0.1218 DMScannersetup.exe" was no longer running.

Re-booted Windows, and everything started all over again, i.e., disabled Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Task List, Windows Shutdown, and IE8. Thinking about downloading FireFox onto a CD from another computer and run to see if its because IE doesn't have quite the tools to protect against scammers.
Appears there isn't any mention of "Windows Critical Scanner" on any other help sites except Bleeping Computer. Hopefully, there will be a solution before April 17th, so I can finish taxes.

#4 BallyZACA

BallyZACA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

... Identical problems to which I experienced, am working with BleepingCom Tech filling their request and am about to send off. My computer will ONLY work in Safe Mode (Networking), whereas, its the only access I have to a browser. And YES the taking over of Windows 'Task Manager' is very irritating. In fact, I am so damn pi**'ed-off that I am going to use my son major law offices in Los Angeles to file a class-action suit against this bast**ds... being as they entire disruption is based on selling their program, whereas, who knows how many thousands of dollars have been fleeced from the public and are lining these criminals pockets??

Any information from ANYONE (BleepingCom and/or others) that can help me identify WHO these criminals are would be greatly appreciated. This is nothing more than a criminal enterprise that has violated and trespassed upon my personal privacy in an attempt to profit from their criminality.

Hopefully, BleepingCom Tech can resolve this issue before filing of your taxes becomes due!

Curt
BallyZACA@msn.com

-END-

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

If you can boot in safe mode ,do post 2.. Tho it will not be done by tax time today.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users