Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changing compuers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gunny3053

Gunny3053

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hi Gang

New to this forum but not new to computers. Ok here is my little problem. I have a friend that was given a computer it is a little newer and better in most regards, so we will call that computer A. The computer she had been using was fairly new also but not as good as computer A, so we will call her computer B.

So I thought and I have done this a ton of times with no problems, I would take the HD out of computer B and put it in computer A, sounds simple enough. Ok so I did that and now computer A will not bring up the Monitor/video, it boots up and starts to go to the desktop and a little windown pops up saying no video. By the way both computers are running Win 7. So just to be doing all the simple things I canged the monitor cable, no change. I rebooted it serveral times, no change.

I can give more detail if needed. I have cloned HD's and did swaps liike this a lot of times this is the first time I have this no video. So I am looking for some one that might have done this before and had a video problem. I know you can do swaps likes this tons of times with no problems but there is always the chance this might happen. So is there a way of fixing this with out reinstalling Win 7.?

Thanx....Gunny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

What is the OS on both A and B, win 7 64 or 32 bit? Anyway Sounds like have a driver issue, especially true if the motherboards are different brands or even different series from the same manufacturer
You need to get the right drivers for graphics, sound , LAN USB etc etc

#3 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hi diggi

Both systems are 32 bit Win 7. How about just getting the drivers for the monitor.? Both are using on board video no video cards.

Thanx....Gunny

#4 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Are both on board video the same brand and type (Intel, AMD or Nvidia)? regardless of that you need to find the right grafx driver for your system and install it.
Then make sure you have the right drivers for everything else. U can check that by clicking on 1. Start 2. Rt click on Computer 3. click MAnage 4. device manager and see which devices have ? on them and get new drivers
If you don't have correct drivers you will run into issues with all the other parts eg can't connect to internet, no sound, system keeps crashing and the like

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Generally, the settings/drivers installed on Computer B...do not fit Computer A and problems should be expected. A clean install is the only guaranteed way to ensure that proper drivers, etc. occur when moving/changing hard drives/motherboards.

Another potential issue is the legality of moving Windows from one system to another. If the version of Windows is not retail, then moving the hard drive to a different system...is illegal.

Louis

#6 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hi All

My apologies to all concerned, I did not have my thinking cap on that day and since I posted this problem, I was not trying to pull a fast one or do anything illegal. I am just so use to working on build your own computers that when I came to these 2 computers I completely forgot they were computers that came with Win 7 already installed. I have been messing with computers since 1996, and the first one I bought was a computer with everything installed, since then I have always built my own, and for others too.

So again my apologies to everyone, I hope my embarrassmentsment is showing, cause I really am.

Thanx....Gunny

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Nothing to be embarassed about...nothing to apologize for :).

Louis

#8 Gunny3053

Gunny3053
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hi Ham

Thanx for that comment. I am a straight shooter and I wanted to make sure every one understood my intentions. I appreciate all the help these forums give me, too much so that I would not put my membership in jeopardy over something like this.

Thanx.....Gunny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users