Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanner in device manager, not in Scanners and Cameras

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fishcad

fishcad

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

I have an HP Scanjet 4890 with an WinXP sp3 (x32) system. The scanner has worked flawlessly for years until a week ago. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the software both from the original disk and with the downloaded file from HP. When installing the scanner carriage moves and when the installation ends I get a message that the installation completed successfully.

Trying to use the HP Solution Center results in this message: "No HP devices have been detected. HP Solution Center will now close."

The scanner shows up in Device Manager and is shown to be working properly. However, the scanner does not show up in the Scanners and Cameras folder in the Control Center. A Brother all-in-one (lousy scanner) shows up there.

I have run the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility 4.2 which shows a problems with HP Twain Scan and HP Scan Flow Manager.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

I may be off here, however

When you go to re-install the scanner do you first uninstall the HP software and drivers, then go into device managers and uninstall the hardware, then unplug the scanner from the computer, shut down and turn on or reboot.

Then to install leave the scanner unplugged from the computer. Failure to do so can result in install failure

Install the HP software and when the software asks you to do so, then plug in the scanner to the computer. Follow the onscreen prompts. Also try and use a Port you never used before to double ensure the XP thinks it is a new hardware.

If that fails.................

Try it on Another just to rule out a hardware problem with the scanner or the USb ports.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 fishcad

fishcad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

I've done everything you suggest except install the scanner on another computer. That will be the next step, but it seems that if the hardware itself is bad the scanner would show up in the Scanners and Cameras folder because it is in the device manager which shows that the device is working normally.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hi, Keep in mind that just because the Device manager shows it to be working normally does not mean anything beyond that the drivers installed with no problems or conflicts.

Just as a test if you have MS Word, try the scanner with that.
Open word.
Choose Insert
Picture
From Scanner or Camera

Or a decent photo editing software should also be able to use a scanner.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 fishcad

fishcad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

According to the help for Word 2007 you must first save a scanned image as a file before inserting it. With both Readiris and Photoshop elements when I try to scan I get a message that the program is unable to communicate with the HP software.

I will be out of the country for a couple weeks. When I get back I will try the scanner on a different computer.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I suppose that is possible with 2007 word, I never liked Office 2007 so I'm still on Office 2003.

I await your return

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 fishcad

fishcad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

The scanner works perfectly on another computer. It also works fine with Paint.NET. It does not work with any other program including the HP software. After running "setup_basic_4800.exe" the scanner now shows up in the scanners and cameras folder, but it still doesn't work. When I run the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility it shows two of the same printers even though I have uninstalled all the software and reinstalled. The Windows (WIA) Scan passes. Previously the HP Twain Scan would fail and I would get an error message saying another product was using the driver. Now the HPSDU just quits when it gets to the HP Twain Scan test.

#8 fishcad

fishcad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Here is the latest. 1) I uninstalled all HP software. 2) I deleted all the files and folders in "C:\WINNT\twain_32" except the ones clearly associated with my Brother all-in-on and a slide scanning program. 3) Reinstalled the HP software from the original disk. I didn't chose to look for updates because I know there are none.

Now the scanner works with the two other programs I use a lot - Photoshop Elements and Read IRIS. It also works with Paint.NET which I rarely use and VueScan which I used for scanning slides. Oddly the only program that won't work is HP Solution Center. (I get either an internal error message or a communication error message.) It's not a great program, but it's quick and easy when scanning photos simply to save them.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Tough decision for you now.

1. Leave it alone since it does work with other programs.
2. Use Revo uninstaller http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html or http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html to uninstall the scanner rather than the HP uninstall. unplug the scanner, do the install again and cross your fingers everything works.

If you decide to do option 1 I would strongly suggest a complete backup of your windows drive so you can go back to the way it is working right now.

Revo Uninstaller Professional is a FULLY FUNCTIONALTRIAL - 30 DAYS FREE!
Revo Uninstaller Freeware Professional

Scanning for leftovers after the standard uninstall YES YES
8 Additional cleaning tools included YES YES
Free Professional Technical Support YES YES
Extended scanning for leftovers - more advanced scanning algorithms YES
Real-Time monitoring of system changes - during install of programs YES
Forced Uninstall - remove remnants of already uninstalled programs YES
Multi-level Backup system - including full Registry backup YES

Note only the top three items are in the free version. I'd suggest the Professional 30 day trial if you decide to go this route.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 fishcad

fishcad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

I used Revo to uninstall the software. I forgot to mention in my previous post that I also ran CCleaner after the uninstall and deleting the files in the twain_32 folder. When the other programs started working, but not the HP software I swallowed real hard and ran the HP installation again. That didn't change anything.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

When you were cleaning up did you also go to the "Documents and Settings" folder
Your user name, for example Owner or Troy or whatever name you are logged in under.
"Application data" and clean out HP from there
and in the same place "Local Settings" folder, "Application data"

You will need to have show hidden as well as show system folders set. For that bring up My Computer
Then Tools, Folder Options, View to set those.

167 @ June 2015

#12 fishcad

fishcad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

In "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\HP\Digital Imaging" there are a bunch of *.dat, *.xml, and *.db files along several others. Would you suggest deleting the entire folder and reinstalling the HP software? I suppose saving the folder to a thumb drive would be prudent.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Personally I would just rename it by appending .old to it

Nothing HP under the Application data that is at the same directory level as local settings? There are actually two application data folders for each user. You could also look at the other users and see if there is an HP in their app data folders.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 May 2012 - 02:07 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#14 fishcad

fishcad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\HP" has two folders with several *.htm files in them. "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HP" also has two folders - Digital Imaging and Scanjet - that each have one *.ini file. The Default User and Administ_ұ (?) have no HP folders or files. Should I rename all the HP folders and reinstall?

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

As long as the HP scanner is the only HP Product I'd rename and give it a whirl.

The best part of renaming is you can go back and forth by renaming the new ones to .new and removing the .old from the old ones.

I hope this works I'm running out of ideas to give out. If it were in front of me I'd do some things I can't recommend since they can really ruin windows.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users